Cluster Bomb


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos » West » Vientiane
January 10th 2011
Published: January 10th 2011
Edit Blog Post

It was a moving and informative day. We arrived in Vientiane which is the capital of Laos. Our first stop was COPE which stands for Cooperative Orthotic and Prosthetic Enterprise.

Perhaps I am either totally ignorant or didn’t pay attention in history class, but I had NO idea that the Americans dropped 260 million explosives (carried inside what is known as cluster bombs) on Laos’ soil in the 1970’s. Of the 260 million explosives, about 80 million is still unaccounted for. Since the mid 1970’s (end of the Indochina war) these explosives (which look a bit like metal grenades) have been found all over the country. Unfortunately, they detonate and have killed 1,000’s of people… For the people that do survive, they mainly have lost limbs. Some lose multiple limbs which becomes hard to live without constant help. As Laos is an extremely poor country, it is hard for these people to get prosthetics and/or make it to the capital which is the only place that offers help.

We learned about one man with 7 children who lost both arms and one of his eyes. After time with COPE, he has learned to make use of one prosthetic arm. I actually met a boy at the center who was on his way home from finding out he graduated from high school when he came across an explosive. Unfortunately, he lost both his hands and his eyesight in the explosion. He had a smile on his face and was directed by who I assume was his father onto the back of the motorbike (as that is a large form of transportation in the area). I was shocked and surprised to see such a big smile… but as Tuey (my local guide) reminds us, the Buddhists are happy people, even after tragedy strikes. After watching a video and learned some more about COPE and what they do, I made the decision to buy a prosthetic limb for a child. The children who have been affected by explosives over the past few years have to be refitted and get new ones almost every year as they continue to grow. The cost was an inexpensive $50. Thirty donations were made from my group today; some purchasing up to 4 prosthetics.

I have to do some research – but I am surprised that Americans still haven’t fully cleaned up this mess. Perhaps there is funding and efforts, but Tuey didn’t really confirm that there was much support; therefore I will do some homework before making any assumptions.

This leads to the other interesting thing about Laos – they are Communists! Flags are EVERYWHERE. Technically in 1975, the Royal family was sent to a concentration camp (missing since they were moved, probably killed) when Laos claimed they were now Socialists vs. Communists. Laos does have a president and prime minister. There is still a prince and princess of Laos; however they were exiled to France and have not been seen or heard of in some time. To say the least, this is an interesting country. Some of the country is beautiful with rich scenery and beautiful butterflies and dragonflies (have never seen so many in my entire life)! On the other hand, this country is so poor, it is hard to stomach that there are barely any medical facilities, parents who can’t afford their children so they have to send them away, shacks as homes, children sleeping on the side of the markets where their parents work late hours selling goods to tourists.

I am glad I spent a week in Laos. It was a good wake up call. The difference between a country like Laos vs. certain areas of Morocco or Egypt is that the Laos people are generally happy people. In Laos, living off $300 in the country or $1,200/year in a major city seems so little! Initially every time you try to give a tip – they don’t say thank you as they are usually in shock. If I know $5 would feed a family of 6 for a few days, I am more than happy to give $5 tips every opportunity I have.

If you have any interest in donating a limb or reading more about COPE, please visit www.copelaos.org. I am aware, saddened and surprised by this experience.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.18s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 54; dbt: 0.1277s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb