Vientiane


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos » West » Vientiane
December 14th 2010
Published: December 15th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Vientiane


French namesFrench namesFrench names

from colonization
Seeing as how Ronald caught the bad mojo and was sick last night, today was a take-it-easy kind of day. We walked to a spa (I wanted to get my underarms waxed - 40,000 kip), to a pool, and to lunch. We also went to see the statue of the old king that is in the middle of two converging roads. We watched people burn incense and put up some flowers before walking back towards our part of the town to look for dinner. After dinner we walked down the riverside street where I saw some really cute sandals...I plan to wait until we go to Vang Vieng and come back to buy them if I don't find them for a better price there.

We're now staying at the RD guest house for 120,000 for a private room and bathroom with AC and a fan and a TV...pretty great. We don't know how long we'll be here because we don't want to go up to the tubing place not feeling well, so maybe another few days. Hopefully we recover quickly because I don't really love this town. It's not really a pretty city, and there doesn't seem to be much to do other than the tiny downtown part.

Technical Details

* $1.00 is about 8,035 kip
* Driving side: Right
* as Ronald pointed out, there is a much larger diversity of cars here
* the French influence has done amazing things here for the cuisine and restaurant choices. Seriously, the baguettes are fantastic.
* almost everywhere offers WiFi
* "thank you very much" sounds like "cop jay le lai" ("thank you" is just "cop jay")
* still don't know why, but it seems like all of the cats' tails have been shortened or cut off


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



2nd January 2011

Cat's tails
I have seen the short cat tails all over Asia, thought they went into soup or something ;) Apparently they're an actual breed.

Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0319s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb