Vientiane


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos » West » Vientiane
May 8th 2007
Published: May 8th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Vang Vieng - Vientiane

May not be completely geographically correct!!! (As with all our maps...)

Red Red Wine Red Red Wine Red Red Wine

Kirstyn enjoying her first Red wine in SE Asia! A B'day treat.

Vang Vieng - Vientiane
Jason & Kirstyn O
Caught a bus, full of tourists from Vang Vieng in the morning and arrived around lunch time to the Capital city Vientiane. Trudged around in the scorching heat trying to find some reasonable accommodation (much more expensive here) and eventually settled on a splurge room with air conditioning, private bathroom and sattelite TV!! Very expensive though.... a whopping $12US a night, funny how your perception changes so quickly. Vientiane is very westernised. As with Luang Prabang the French influence here is very evident and there are many restaurants and bakeries catering to western tastes.

Today was Kirstyn's birthday so she was treated to a relaxing Herbal Massage, although her neck is still not right she promises that it was good. By this stage Jason's stomach decided to give up the ghost and the dreaded travellers diarrohea appeared to be settling in. We still managed to hit the town that night, albeit a bit more softly than expected and Kirstyn got to experience a lovely dinner with some red wine! What a treat. We later caught up with Andy and Nicola who had thoughtfully found some treats resembling a birthday cake and even candles. The grand finale was a deep spirited rendition of Happy Birthday sung by the gang we met on the slow boat to Luang Prabang.

Mainly due to Jason's tummy (sorry Kirst) we headed home relatively early but the consolation was the movie channel in bed. The following day, Jason spent most of it in our room close to the toilet watching TV in the Air con, not a bad place to get sick I guess. Kirstyn continued her pampering with a manicure and a few emails but not much really. Tried the local mexican restaurant that night.

The following day Jason was getting a bit better so we braved hiring bikes to see the sights. First stop was eating croissants for breakfast at the "Vertical Runway," a replica of the Arch De Triumph, built from cement donated by the Americans to build an airstrip (so they could use it to bomb everyone) hence the expat nickname. We then cycled out to the Cambodian embassy to get our visas sorted. The afternoon was filled in by the National museum which was quite interesting with loads of war history (the Laos people have seen so much conflict). Kirstyn completed her pamper package with a pedicure. We visited the riverside markets and had drinks on the Mekong that night. Tomorrow we leave for the South of Laos, already over the city and well and truly ready to get back to some small villages....


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Road works Lao StyleRoad works Lao Style
Road works Lao Style

Thought we'd put this in for you Terry O. The main strip of Vientiane was all ripped up for a new utilities line. OH&S not a big issue!


Tot: 0.37s; Tpl: 0.022s; cc: 21; qc: 103; dbt: 0.1155s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb