Party town


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos » West » Vang Vieng
February 1st 2013
Published: February 1st 2013
Edit Blog Post

We have hired a van for the journey to Vieng Van. It is 6 hour trip and the troops don’t think they can handle another public bus. Also the scenery is very stunning and many photo opportunities will be required.

I don’t think there is one flat, straight section of road in Laos. The driver crawls his way up the hills, than pops the gear into neutral and we charge our way down the other side. All for the sake of fuel consumption. Just like a roller coaster ride with corners.

Village after village we pass through. The people are Hmong, the one’s that took the wrong side in the political upheaval. They are subsistence farmers, very poor and uneducated but the views they have from their meagre homes are million dollar.

From all the stories I heard I expected Vang Vieng to be a few bamboo shacks, full of drunk, drugged up backpackers watching Friends on an old fuzzy black and white TV. In contrast it has modern hotels looking over the river. Trendy bars with flat screen TVs and from what I saw normal tourists.

You would think you were in a small Byron Bay only difference you are in Asia.

The back drop though is spectacular. Limestone karsts jut vertical towards the sky behind the river. Big call but one of the most beautiful spots I have ever seen.

We do some push bike riding, some drinking, eat at an Aussie Bar and retire to bed.

5am a huge storm erupts and when we awake it is raining and the picture postcard view has changed once again.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.093s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0611s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb