Laos, Bangkok and the end.


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos » West » Vang Vieng
May 14th 2010
Published: May 14th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Who ever's idea it was to go down a river in a rubber ring, get fished out to a bar, get free drinks, go on a zip line and down a slide into the river is a genius - this was Laos, and it is called Tubing!. Absolutley crazy! The trip to Laos though was a nightmare, 22 hour long bus ride....! Could've been quicker if it the border opened 24 hours, and the Vietnamese border officials showed a bit of urgency. Anyway, we eventually got to the capital of Vientiane about 4pm. There wasn't much to do there, so we just booked tickets to Vang Vieng - for the Tubing. That place is surreal! The restaurants/bars have tables where you can lie down, and they put one of Family Guy, Friends or The Simpsons box sets on all day! What a relaxing way to spend an afternoon - it's how life should be lived. The country is so relaxed and chilled out. Then the day of the tubing. It is one of those things that you have to see to believe. Parties down the river all day, leave the bars via the river, see people floating on the river, trying to avoid those jumping in from 20 feet! From Vang Vieng we went to Luang Prabang, to get a flight to Bangkok as we were now out of time. So spent one night there, which is a historic city with a lot of colonial buildings. The flight down to Bangkok was with Lao Airline - one of the strangest planes I've been on. It was a small aircraft with propellor engines. There were 2 stewards on board who didn't explain health and safety regulations, actually, they said to look at the card in the compartment infront. There were no life jackets, and in case of falling into water, we should take the seat and use it to float, very odd. But we got to Bangkok safe and sound. Decided to have a walk around, and bumped into what we thought were tramps, and a lot of them. But no, they were the protestors camping out over a massive area. Thousands of them living on the street. They closed some many businesses and shopping malls. So the next day we didn't stay in Bangkok, but went to a theme park called Dream World. It was good fun, with all your usual rides. An amzing log flume where you get absolutely soaked! Good job it is so hot in Bangkok. Then in Bankok aiport we leanrt an ex army general had been shot and the military were closing in on the protestors - a good time to leave then.

Then that was that. Trip over in a flash. With so many new experiences and adventures, this was the best time of my life.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0415s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb