Huay Xai - Pak Beng


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos » West » Pakbeng
May 14th 2007
Published: May 14th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Up at a reasonable time and had breakfast at the guest house. The checked out (although I did forget to hand in the BAP quest house room key and still have it now.)

We got a Tuk Tuk down to the dock. The boat seemed fine but the wooden benchs didnt look all that comfortable and didnt afford much leg room. So I clung on to two seats for dear life and pretended to be a sleep so that know one would sit next to me. It took a while to get going and the boat filled up substantialy.

While on the boat, it was then that I was to find out that the national plant for Laos is the cannabis plant. Every deck hand would smile then whisper "hey mister, you want some weed?"
The ride was pleasent but 2 hours on a wooden bench with thin cusion, into the 6-8 hour journey, I did feel like I needed a butt transplant. The journey was broken up with a bit of sleep, reading and a game of speed (card game although Venetia called it something else.) Plus Venetia showed me a couple of sweet card tricks which she was ment to teach me before we parted ways but unfortunatly I forgot to ask - doh!

Finally with a raw hide we arrived at the small village of Pak Beng. It was here that I learnt the worst lesson so far, Everything had gone well on the journey up to this point and also being tiered we decided to book a guest house on the boat before seeing it. It started to dawn on us that we may have made a mistake when we had to walk past all these nice Guest houses (through a hugh crowed of people selling weed and rooms.) up hill to the very end of the village. The guest house seemed ok from the outside but the room was skanky. The shower drain was a hole that emptied into another hole in the floor via the main bedroom. Fag butt in the sink and lots of large cockarouchs. At least we had mosquito netswhich we tucked in around the beds to prevent any of the cockaroches from getting in. Further more while everyone was getting ready, I was sat on my bed reading while Chressie sat on hers in a bra waited for Venetia to finish in the bathroom. Suddenly this guy barges into the room asking if I wanted some weed then stood there with his mates having a good perve at poor Chressie. They quickley left when Chressies screams of get out get out got louder and louder.

We headed next door for a bite to eat then down the road for some desert.

We needed to get back to the room by 1030 as this was when all the generators stopped and the village was plunged into darkness. Once this happened even the fans wouldnt work making the room incredibly hot.

It was a rough night sleep. Not only was it really hot the girls kept screaming and jumping around everytime a hugh cockaroche scurried past or moth buzzed onto the net. It didnt stop there the animals got bigger and bigger. I was almost asleep when I heard the girls screaming "rat!" You could hear the little bugger scurry around munching on some ritz crackers left on the floor by Chressie.

At least the evening ended on an ironic note when it turned out that written all over the girls bed sheets was text saying 'all creaters great and small'.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



18th May 2007

Guest House
To me that Guest House sounds genius and not a mistake at all. It must be good, I can't recall you going into so much detail about any other room you've stayed in before.
18th May 2007

Guest House
Thanks Devs. Yes that room did have.......character
25th May 2007

Any spiders? It's not homely unless it's got spiders.

Tot: 0.172s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 17; qc: 79; dbt: 0.1361s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb