Day 7 & Day 8 - Luang Prabang


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos » West » Luang Prabang
December 31st 2009
Published: December 31st 2009
Edit Blog Post

Ken's Blog Supplement - India Final Thoughts

I just wanted to get down some final thoughts on India before moving on to our experience in Laos. India has definitely been a challenging country to travel through. Even the most basic trip to the market often turned into an adventure - often an unwanted adventure. Over the past few days, I've gone from finding India incredibley facinating, to counting the days before I could get out of this place. In the end though, I've managed to figure it out a little better - to make my peace with it. In out final day here, I found myself wishing we had a few more days to explore - something I wouldn't have imagined only the day before!

There should be a class one takes before traveling to this country. The incessent scammers and cons can really take a toll on you as you negotiate the city. It is easy to mistake the entire country of India as little more then a den of theives. It isn't of course, but the people most accessible to the average tourist - whether it be the taxi drivers or the "helpful" strangers that lurk in mass around each and every tourist spot - can make the entire experience such a chore. I know, I know, they are poor. But that doesn't explain the situation entirely. I've been to other countries that are similarly poor and have not found nearly the same level of systemic scamming. It is unfortunate that this becomes so much of the experience.

Here are a few of the lessons we've learned:

1) When walking down the street, any person that approaches you is a scammer. This was true for us 100% of the time and it happened easily 50-60 times during our 6 days in India. Best response: Ignore, ignore, ignore. Don't make eye contact. This will not always work immediately though. We had some persistent cons follow us for blocks. In such instances, we found an aggressive response was the only answer. Once they understand in no uncertain terms that they will get nothing from you, they leave.

2) Anyone telling you that the place you want to visit is closed is lying. This was also true for us 100% of the time. Happened easily 30 times. They use this line to convince you to go to some other place so they will earn a commission. Best response: Ignore, ignore, ignore. On our last day, this one con had the audacity to tell us that the entire section of Delhi known as Old Delhi was closed. Fortunately, by then we could just laugh about it.

3) Taxis/Autorickshaw drives will work you from the minute you get in their vehicle until the minute you get out. They want to take you someplace you don't want to go so they will earn a commission. They want to charge extra for things you've already paid for. They want to wait for you to also get the return fee - which sounds fine until you realize that they now excert much more control over your itinerary which is not a good thing. Best response: when ever possible take the Metro subway. Very clean, very efficient, very nice. Just be careful with the attendents selling the subway tokens as ours tried to short-change us. Since we only used the subway once, that was also a 100% occurence.

Ok, now that I've gotten that off my chest, India also has a lot to offer. First off, when ever Steven and I approached Indian families for help, they were so welcoming and very eager to help us experience their country and culture. They wanted nothing in return. It was only when strangers approached us that a con was on its way - and even the cons seemed to have a sense of humor about their tactics. Secondly, it is helpful to keep perspective on the scammers as the total "take" they are looking for is typically only a dollar or two. Getting too caught up in the whole "it is the principle of the thing" mentality will only make it worse. You have to just let it go... Finally, by our last day we started visiting places that were far less touristy and discovered an entirely different India. Gone were the scammers. Instead, were just people going through their daily lives as usual. We finally discovered the India we had come to see.

In the end, I'm so glad we visited India. It may not be everyone's cup of tea. It may not even be my cup of tea. But it is definitely an eye-opeining experience and if that is the kind of travel you want, this is the place to find it! Next up is Luang Prabang Laos. I NEED some quite time in Luang Prabang. Steven and I have been to Luang Prabang many times before and so look forward to the tranquility Luang Prabang provides.

Ken

Day 7 - Dec 30 and Dec 8 - Dec 31 (New Year Eve)

We are now here in Luang Prabang Laos. We left New Delhi at midnight of Dec 29 for our flight to Bangkok and then on to Luang Prabang. We arrived in Luang Prabang around 11:00 am and were then driven to my cousin's hotel. The hotel is a very calm, beautiful place. Linda, if you reading this, the new complex is very beautiful. We slept very well last night after a long day traveling.

After checking in to the hotel, we walked around the town and had lunch over at one of our favorite lunch spots called the "Luang Prabang Bakery and Restaurant". I had Ice Cream and a mixed fruit smoothie while Ken had Pizza. We eat lunch at this restaurant every time we come to Luang Prabang. Then, later in the afternoon, we went to play tennis with my cousin and a friend from Canada who lives here in Luang Prabang with his partner. We have become friends with them and look forward to seeing them each time we visit. Then, later that night, we went out to eat at one of the newer restuarant here in Luang Prabang called "Coconut Garden". The food was very good. We plan to go play tennis again today. Then, tonight we plan to go out with our friends to eat at the Blue Lagoon restaurant. That should be a very fun way to celebrate the New Year's Eve.

Steven


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement



31st December 2009

"WOW"
You guys FINALLY got out of India.... Somehow i knew that wuld happen to you guys... That's why I didn't want to go :D All i have to say is... " I knew it! And i'm not sure if i told you not to go there but i was thinking about it! i didnt want to be rude...." SOooooo: India wasn't the best place for you... It would't be for me either! So hope the stress or whatever you'd call it.. Comes back in Laos. And tell everyone in Laos I said Hi! ( Not really EVERYONE! Dont go in the streets saying," Megan says hi! " I would just die laughing if you did that! )
31st December 2009

happy new year guys!!!

Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.025s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0387s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb