Let the shopping begin!.


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos » West » Luang Prabang
July 20th 2009
Published: August 6th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Meagan and her new friendMeagan and her new friendMeagan and her new friend

Even the animals like Meagan's hair.
We flew into Laung Prabrang, our first stop in Laos on he 18th of July. This is a relaxed little tourist town filled with lots of great guest houses and restaurants. After the congestion of Bangkok it felt as if we had just been dropped into paradise with the french colonial buildings, all finished with beautiful teak wood and looking as if they had been freshly whitewashed, add to this the surrounding jungle and the orchids sprouting out of everywhere and it was absolutely beautiful. We took a day trip to visit Pac Ou Caves a Cave containing hundreds of Buddhas, followed bye a visit to Tat Kuang Si waterfalls , Tim was so excited to visit this waterfall again as he had been on a previous trip and the waterfall forms lots of little pools, but it seem there was a lot more water this year and the water was just rushing through, but it was still worth the trip and we enjoyed swimming in the one safe swimming area that was left.
Our second morning there we got up early to watch the monks receive their morning alms, around 5:30 - 6:00 am the monks all walk through town in a line with their food pots and people fill them with food as they walk by. We were not sure what time they would be walking around town so we got outside just as they were finishing there walk only to be spotted by a few locals, the minute we walked out of our guesthouse, who insisted we buy food from them to give to the monks, by the time the monks had passed through we had somehow bought 90 000 kip, worth of sticky rice and bananas as they grabbed money right out of Tim's wallet (90 00 kip = $12 - more than most of our meals), Tim hadn't gotten any photos and the locals were still insisting we buy stuff for the next day which we refused. The next morning we got up much earlier and made it to the main street where nobody bothered us and we were able to sit back enjoy the peace and get some good photos. Didn't do much else here besides relax and of course shop every night at the night market that is set up at the end of main street. Bought so much that we already had to buy an extra bag, but it was only a small one!!

Cheers
Meagan and Tim


Additional photos below
Photos: 44, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



31st August 2009

Inspirational....
Hi, I'm searching for travel blog sites as I prepare for my trip to Laos in December. My family moved to Laos in 1966 where we lived for the next 8 years. I am returning after a 36 year hiatus. Your photographs are beautiful (though I was bit nervous watching you in those waterfalls), and bring so many memories back to me. Did you enjoy using this site for your blog? Would you recommend it? User friendly? Did you go to internet cafe's to use your computer? I'd love any information you can share with me. Thanks so much. Liz Senser

Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0513s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb