Slow Boat


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos » West » Luang Prabang
March 9th 2008
Published: March 10th 2008
Edit Blog Post

The road between Vang Vieng and Luang Prabang has continuing sharp turns going up and down almost 6 hours.We took this road by minibus.Because of the road stress we had pain on our muscles.


Luang Prabang is an old capital of Laos with simple architecture and many tens of temples. Every temple has a different name. The city is full of monks and their pray begins at 06 am. The temple on the top of a hill in the city has 323 steps to reach and when you reach to the temple they charge you 5 USD for a couple.


There are beautiful restaurants on the riverside where one may set the sun on Mekong by a bottle of wine. Food and drinks are relatively very cheap.


Every night after 06 pm night bazaar opens. Colourful shoppings.

This town was a nice place for a rest break. After two days we took the slow boat for two days for Thailand. We gave a stop at the end of the first day at Pakbang, a little village. We had excellent dinner at the edge of a hill restaurant with spectacular view of Mekong. The restaurant was almost full. But unfortunately the owner is also the waiter and also the cook and also the cashier. He was runnig from one end to the other from kitchen to cash desk but he was all the time smiling. We waited about half an hour to pay the bill. A fat lady who could't get service in time was running from one end to the other. She could't stand her hunger.


There is no electricity in the village. Every establishment has its own generator and after 10 pm the village gets dark and calm.

The next morning after breakfast at the hotel we continiued sailing by another slow boat. All the sides of the Mekong are green and a little bit misty in the morning.


The boat stopped several times for the locals at the end of the day we reached to Huoxay, Laos. The other side of the river is Thailand. But because the border closes at nights we spent the night on Laos side, Huoxay. We have spent the dinner on the riverside restaurant.


The next morning we crossed the border by boat an got a bus to Chiang Mai ( 6 hours) on the north of Thailand.

We travelled with nice young couples from different parts of the world. We met the couple from Saigon or from Hanoi travelling on the same route. Several of them took our family pictures with admire to encourage their families to travel.




Additional photos below
Photos: 48, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Luang PrabangLuang Prabang
Luang Prabang

Another temple
Luang PrabangLuang Prabang
Luang Prabang

An interesting big tree
Luang PrabangLuang Prabang
Luang Prabang

Lunch at the riverside
Luang PrabangLuang Prabang
Luang Prabang

A french Restaurant
Luang PrabangLuang Prabang
Luang Prabang

Another Temple
Luang PrabangLuang Prabang
Luang Prabang

Another Temple
Luang PrabangLuang Prabang
Luang Prabang

Our Hotel; Villa Soxxai ( 23USD incl. breakfast)
Luang PrabangLuang Prabang
Luang Prabang

Entrance of our hotel; shoes outside
Luang PrabangLuang Prabang
Luang Prabang

Another Temple


10th March 2008

It is kind of you! Thank you for the Laosian orchids.

Tot: 0.051s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0296s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb