Crossing the border to Laos


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos » West » Ban Houayxay
February 24th 2006
Published: March 10th 2006
Edit Blog Post

kickboxing from Chiang Maikickboxing from Chiang Maikickboxing from Chiang Mai

We saw 2 knockouts
Chiang Mai, oh Chiang Mai. The cultural capital of Thailand and probably the best place we have been to so far. It was the base for the trekking as well as being a party filled city. In all I saw the sights, experienced the relaxing cafes, bought books from the local famous book shops, got drunk once or twice and saw Thai kickboxing (incluindg 2 knock outs). Overall a wicked city, with a brilliant atmosphere- there just arent enough superlatives to grace this wondrous location in the heart of South East Asia!!!
Inevitably we had to move on though. Next destination: Laos! The past 3 days have been all about travelling. Our first port of call was the Laos border town of Huay Xia, where we had to get 2 buses, 2 taxis and a ferry crossing to get there. Visas on arrival- sweet! My first impressions of Laos was that the people were less smiley, a bit more starey, and a bit more chilled than Thailand. I knew I would like it! It seems that if you want something done, you have to do it yourself, for the Laos people are not going to get up off their lazy arses
1st meal in Laos1st meal in Laos1st meal in Laos

Cool and swarve!
and do it for you!!
The following 2 days we travelled down the mahusive Mekong River to a town called Luang Prabang- supposedly the msot enchanting town in the continent! This took 16hours of sitting on a rockhard seat! Time passed quickly as we enjoyed some fantastic scenery of the Laos mountains and the fishermen catching their supper. The first negative bit of the journey was when the bloody germans were told to get off the roof of the boat cus the river police were coming, but they wouldnt! Eventually, as the river police came and told them to get off, many looks of disgrace were aimed at the drunken nobs from everyone. I would have felt ashamed to be German, but thankfully im not eh Dennis?!!
We are just spending our first day in this remote little town relaxing and catching up on all the news. Saw Chelseas lose to Barca repeated last nite over a few Beer Laos (good beer) and today have spent much time sitting down chilling drinking tea in a bookshop with the dutch girls from our trek. Overall life is good- im reading more, ive started getting good and taking malaria tablets and if i were any more relaxed id be horizontal. Oh the strain of this life!
Hope everyones good back home?
Jonnyx


Advertisement



Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0517s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb