Don Det Pt.2


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos » South » Don Det
April 29th 2012
Published: April 29th 2012
Edit Blog Post

After renting bikes for 10000 kip (just over a dollar). Niki and I set out to ride around the island and maybe over the old railway bridge to the next island over.
The ride around the island was beautiful. We biked down bamboo fenced lanes, past little riverside bungalows and the quiet homes of the locals. The weather really cooperated with us today and we got some of the first real blue sky we had seen since entering Laos. Its the burning season for the country, which means the locals do controlled burns over small stretches of mountainside to prepare for the next crop season. It also means the sky is generally pretty hazy. Today though it was all blue skies and a nice breeze, perfect for a ride.
We did a lap of the island and went found the railway bridge. We rode across and as we were about to cross to the other side, we were stopped and told that, since we were foreigners, we would have to pay a toll. Neither of us were very keen on it and since we also hadnt brought any kip with us, we turned back, did another lap around the island and ended our ride. After a little bit of a break we walked over to our new favorite dinner place; Miss Ning's for some delicious noodle soup and called it a night.
After another relaxed day, it was time to pack our bags, say goodbye to riverside life, and make the journey north to our bus ride back to Thailand.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.097s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 13; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0353s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb