exploring laos...


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos » North » Ban Nam Lai
June 18th 2010
Published: June 18th 2010
Edit Blog Post

We arrived in vientiane yesterday at about 6pm (after being late for our flight and running through kl airport with our backpacks on looking like absoloute idiots!) and found a guesthouse - our first proper backpacker one rather than the luxury we had in KL! we paid 78,000 kip, which is about 7 pounds for the room between us. The guesthouse has a shared bathroom but we never saw anyone else use it, the shower was pretty grim but overall it was fine. We just had a fan in the room though which considering it was 36 degrees in laos yesterday took some getting used to! as soon as you step out of the shower it feels like youve never been in! Once we got our room we wandered to the riverbank to eat and have a well deserved beer lao! (the place was called joy restaurant which made jess smile, we got a picture!) The lonely planet guide says that beer lao is probably the best larger in the world and they are very proud of it here, theres signs for it everywhere! Wandering round we realised there isnt much to do in vientiane, and we got talking to a woman from wakefield whos lived in laos for 5 years, she said there are some beautiful places on the way to luang prabang that we should see so this morning we decided to get the bus this morning and stop off. We are in a little town by the river and its absolutely amazing, our guesthouse has a terrace that overlooks the river with the mountains just behind it, theres hammocks on there so we have spent a lovely few hours swinging in them and looking at each other every 5 minutes and saying 'i cant believe we are here, this is paradise'. The whole place is made of wood, sort of like a shack would be the best way to describe it but a lovely one! the shower is open at the top so when you are in there you can see across the mountains, its like somethoing off a film! And its costing us about 3 pounds a night between us - laos is very very cheap! The woman we met last night told us its a good time to come because in 3 or 4 years it will be fully commercialized like thailand, so we are both very happy that we decided to come! We took lots of pictures to make everyone jealous but the stupid computer isnt recognising the usb port so we cant put them on just yet. I think we are going to stay here for a few nights because we have met lots of nice people and its just such a perfect place to spend a few days!
love to everyone x

Advertisement



21st June 2010

Happy Birthday
Hi Jessica hope u are having a good time on your birthday, we are all thinking about you. Hope you have reached your next destination. We hear you are meeting lots of new friends!and enjoying every minute of it. Speak to you soon . Love Angie and grun x
22nd June 2010

WELL DONE WITH YOUR ESSAY
Dad has just told me about your wonderful essay results - well done Darling! Hope you had a good birthday and have recovered. I am at work and it is very hot here. Love you lots Joy

Tot: 0.161s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0958s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb