Kyrgyzstan


Advertisement
Kyrgyzstan's flag
Asia » Kyrgyzstan
April 28th 2009
Published: May 2nd 2009
Edit Blog Post

A view over OshA view over OshA view over Osh

..with our new found friends Bob and Rick.
Our extended stay in Kashgar and the delay in getting across the border has left us with little time to explore Kyrgyzstan. We don't manage to loop up to Bishkek and the lakes in the north east, but instead discover Osh, the second largest city of the country and centre point of the south in a country geographically and culturally divided by the Fergana mountain range.

As we wander down the street we meet Bolot and Rinat, aka Bob and Rick (perhaps English names are as much of a requisite among the cool kids here as they are in China). They are first year students at the English faculty, are clearly excellent students, and offer to show us around. The sights consist mainly of Solomon's Throne, a big hill with views over the sprawling city, and a market, over a kilometer long, that, like a central Asian equivalent to Auchan, sells tout pour la vie.

Bob and Rick epitomise the ethnic diversity we see in Kyrgyzstan: Bob could easily pass as a Chinese, and Rick, who is of Tatar descent, looks completely European. On top of that there are plenty of Uzbeks, Russians, Tzigane (as they refer to them)
The lucky slide on SolomonThe lucky slide on SolomonThe lucky slide on Solomon

Slide down seven times and make a wish. You have to work for your wishes in Kyrgyzstan!
and other nationalities thrown in for good measure.

Kyrgyzstan is also the kind of place you can walk up to a kiosk at 11 am, hand over a few shreds of banknotes and be served three shots of vodka in a tall glass. As we saw one gentleman do, take a deep breath, and then down it in one before continuing down the street. Nasdarovye..


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.126s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0437s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb