Fire!


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Yamanashi » Tsuru
October 7th 2008
Published: October 9th 2008
Edit Blog Post

pre-firepre-firepre-fire

This is one of the columns that would later be ON FIRE! MUAHAHAHAHAHA!!!
Hi everybody!

I'm very excited to write this entry because I get to write about one of the coolest experiences I've had in Japan yet. Are you ready for it? Time to grab some popcorn (oh, how I miss popcorn...), sit back, and relax as I present another epic Japanese adventure...

08/26/2008

As a misty wet rain fell from the sky, so did ashes and embers falling from pillars of burning wood. I pushed through the crowd of people, catching my umbrella on the countless other umbrellas squeezing past. I might have put the umbrella down and tolerated the rain, but that might also mean getting singed, so I brandished it like a shield against the rain of fire. What sort of a place was I in? Why were embers raining from the sky? Well, that's just the sort of thing that happens at Fujiyoshida's FIRE FESTIVAL!

(Haha...couldn't resist the dramatic intro...anyway, now to explain...)

I had been looking forward to that Tuesday for a few weeks. My host mom had invited me to go with her and her family to their hometown's annual fire festival at our first dinner together. They had been gone for
Tori Tori Tori

This is a Tori gate at the beginning of the main street that the festival would be on just a short while later...
the time in between to America, so it was the first time I was to see them in a while. Jimmy and Allison's host family had also invited them, so they were going, too. After hearing about how cool it sounded in class, we ended up with a good size group of other California kids and a few of our tutors. Together we all hopped on the train to meet the host families in Fujiyoshida. Upon arrival, we were whisked away to Jimmy's host family's home where we had a BBQ that was delicious! They just had so much good food that kept coming and coming. They really know how to spoil us.

As it got dark, we decided to walk over to the main street where the festival was being held. It didn't take long before we saw our first burning pillar of fire. So cool! Along the way to the street the festival was on, we saw a few of these burning pillars, but it was nothing compared to what we found on the actual street. It was amazing! Down the middle of the street every few feet there was a burning pillar of wood. Some tall,
what's to come...what's to come...what's to come...

I can\'t read everything on this sign, but it says something about the festival and Yamanashi-ken (the part of Japan I\'m in). It probably also says something cool about fire...
some short, all just burning away! The sides of the street were lined from end to end with vendors of food and toys. And it was PACKED. The whole street was crowded with people and umbrellas under the steady drizzle. It was most definitely one of the most amazing sights I've ever seen.

You're probably wondering about why they have a fire festival in the first place, right? Well, it's basically to give thanks to the gods (Shinto gods, that is) for a a safe Mt. Fuji climbing season. (Not so sure if it's deserved this year since 5 people died climbing it this summer, but that's the idea anyway.) At the start of the festival they carry in a big Mt. Fuji-shaped float-ish thing and pull another float that carries people playing Taiko. Both floats ended up in a big shed-like building and were on display for everyone to see. They were really intricate and beautiful. People could give offerings and buy charms in that same area, too.



I know that's only one day's worth of story, but I have a lot of pictures to post with it, so I'm just going to post this
chillin' at the BBQchillin' at the BBQchillin' at the BBQ

From the left, this is Allison, Vanessa, and Alex sitting around outside waiting for our delicious BBQ.
entry even though it's on the short side. I promise there will be more soon! Stay tuned! 😉


Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

mmm...BBQmmm...BBQ
mmm...BBQ

This is Kimmai and me enjoying our yummy food.
watermelonnnnnnnnwatermelonnnnnnnn
watermelonnnnnnnn

Some juicy watermelon that they served us for dessert. Considering how expensive watermelon is here, they were really spoiling us.
what-a-melon!what-a-melon!
what-a-melon!

Watermelon certainly isn't my favorite fruit, but it is reaaaalllllyyyyy good here, I have to admit.
let it burn...let it burn...
let it burn...

The first little burning pile we saw. Don't worry, it will get more impressive.
on fire!on fire!
on fire!

One of the taller pillars starting to burn. Cool, eh?
too hot to handletoo hot to handle
too hot to handle

The California kids next to a PILLAR OF FLAME. Sorry. I'm really into how dramatic that sounds.
more fire!more fire!
more fire!

This is a medium-sized column. Still pretty cool.
Tori take 2Tori take 2
Tori take 2

This is that same Tori gate from before. Cooler with fire and people underneath it, right? If you didn't know what was going on, it might look like a scene from Godzilla.
my host mom!my host mom!
my host mom!

Can you see the resemblance? Her name is Akiko Shirai and she's very nice. She's trying to learn English, so we kind-of help each other.
big fire, little firebig fire, little fire
big fire, little fire

They're buddies. Can't you tell from how warm they are together?
sea of umbrellassea of umbrellas
sea of umbrellas

All the umbrellas made it seem like there were thousands of people on the tiny street.
Mt. Fuji's mini-meMt. Fuji's mini-me
Mt. Fuji's mini-me

This was one of the Dashis (float type things) that they brought in to a building at the heart of the festival.
another Dashianother Dashi
another Dashi

This one would have carried Taiko players on it. Pretty cool, eh?
the whole gangthe whole gang
the whole gang

This was our entire group at the festival, including several tutors, Cali kids, and host families. Pretty impressive, no?
the host famthe host fam
the host fam

This is my host family, minus the dad. Aren't the kids cute? The older one is named Kana and the younger is Miho.
Japanese people are funnyJapanese people are funny
Japanese people are funny

I discreetly took a picture of these girls because they're dressed like Stitch from Lilo and Stitch. Hahahahaha...
the main streetthe main street
the main street

This is just to give you an idea of what the road looked like. Fire in the middle, food on the sides. Got it?
win a turtle!win a turtle!
win a turtle!

In this game, you could win one of these cute little turtles! Too bad we're not allowed to have pets in the apartment...
extinguisher, anyone?extinguisher, anyone?
extinguisher, anyone?

Who knows if this fire ever burns out...This one was only about half-way through it's wood supply when we left for the night.


10th October 2008

loved it all
Hi, from Portugal! Read all your entries and loved the detail. Very entertaining! Nice photos too. Keep it up! :)
14th October 2008

Not in California
What an experience, the fire stacks and reasons for having them are just amazing! With all of the safety and environmental rules in California, you would never have a chance to see something like that stateside. Too cool ... rather hot!
3rd November 2008

Haha...Yeah, a fire festival in California...doesn't seem like it would work very well. Definitely one of those unique Japanese experiences. I love those!

Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0448s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb