The Hassaku Matsuri


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Yamanashi » Tsuru
September 3rd 2007
Published: September 4th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Samurai RegaliaSamurai RegaliaSamurai Regalia

All our Samurai outfits laid out for us. We had NO idea how to put them on.
Alright so my computer finally cooperated long enough to let me upload the pictures from the Matsuri.

This was a trip and a half. It did NOT start at 5:30, which was awesome. We got to the community center across from City Hall around 11, and got dressed and were ready by about 11:45.

I bother to mention this because the parade did not begin until 3 pm.

However, the wonders of the orient never ceasing and all, the locals had an excellent solution:

FREE BEER!

We were a little bummed, since the rest of the Matsuri was basically beginning without us, until we found out that there were ample amounts of free beer for the near 100 people involved in the parade. So we all goofed around and had a good time for the couple hours before the parade. Enough time to start feeling loose for the parade, so to speak. As well, this also led to a huge line to go to the bathroom at the end of the first leg of the parade, a forty minute march through the town.

It was pretty interesting walking through the town. There were many whispers
Gettin Gussied upGettin Gussied upGettin Gussied up

Doing my best to look tough for the camera. I was smiling so much b/c I felt so silly I had a hard time.
of "gaijin" "kakko ii" (cool) "ryugakusei" and "ganbatte" (hang in there!). The funniest was whenever I saw another white person standing around taking pictures, we both gave each other a look of surprise like "what are YOU doing here?!" Because of course, as an American studying abroad in Japan, it is preposterous to think that there might be someone ELSE foreign traveling to this place.

The march ended at a local grade school where there was a large courtyard, and, as we marched in, they announced all our names, where we were from, and what roles we were playing in the parade. This led to utter embarrassment of course, since its pretty obvious which people the announcer was talking about.

Incidentally, it's always pretty interesting to hear your name read backwards. Polakoski David California no Daigaku San Diego Kou gakusei. My homestay family's little boy, who is five, has also taken to occasionally calling me Polakoski Debbido (which is kind of how its written in Japanese - David is hard to transliterate), which inevitably leads to him calling me Pola-chan (chan is an affectionate suffix usually used b/w family members).

My friends heard this and thought it
Gettin Gussied UpGettin Gussied UpGettin Gussied Up

All of us post-beautification. We all had to wear makeup so we all look pretty... interesting
was a pretty cute nickname in the menacing way other guys tend to think certain nicknames are 'cute'.

It is getting on in hours and I now have to start working to combat the beginnings of a cold. Anyway all you lovely people are caught up. In two weeks the intensive language program will end, and we will have a ten day break and my birthday. We intend to travel then, and my homestay family is going to throw me a party! Pretty exciting! I'm sure it will be wonderful..... because the wonders of the orient never cease!!!!!!!!!!

(I am not sure if that amuses anyone besides myself. You have to say it like you're from the 20s for it to work. Either way its stayin)




Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

Gettin Gussied upGettin Gussied up
Gettin Gussied up

Not all of us were samurai. This fellow, Xander, was a Yakko-san. The person describing us to them kind of compared them to jesters. They wear the funny bald cap dealies, and giant moustaches that make them look like the guy on the Pringles can. This picture is much funnier if you bear in mind this guy is like 6'3, orange, and you are looking at the entire length of his shorts right there.
Look out!Look out!
Look out!

Is that a katana on your hip or are you just happy to see me?
The Gaijin BrigadeThe Gaijin Brigade
The Gaijin Brigade

Everyone together shortly before the parade. The two girls in the center are princesses, I believe. That is not their real hair.
The Gaijin BrigadeThe Gaijin Brigade
The Gaijin Brigade

Lookin good there 'stache-man
The Business End of My KatanaThe Business End of My Katana
The Business End of My Katana

Fooling around with katanas in samurai outfits all day you'd think I'd be able to take a hard lookin picture. This is pretty much the only one - the one where you can't see my face.
Pre-ParadePre-Parade
Pre-Parade

It's really the only way to get these darn things open
Pre-ParadePre-Parade
Pre-Parade

A Leisurely duel
Pre-ParadePre-Parade
Pre-Parade

This is the end result of gaijin with swords and beer! Tutors get cut!
The ParadeThe Parade
The Parade

A Polish samurai and a Jewish Samurai walk into a bar.....


4th September 2007

Nice hat Pola-chan...
You look like you are having a great time. Good work with the postings, keep um coming. We missed you at the first of what will be many epic poker tournaments (in which we all lost our money to Eltgroth, but won it back when he bought us burritos with his winnings). Hang in there Pola-chan, can't wait to catch up when you get home. Oh, and good luck with those mosquitoes.
4th September 2007

Umm, your homestay family neglected to mention that "-chan" is usually affixed to FEMALE names... that explains the make-up, though.

Tot: 0.094s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 50; dbt: 0.059s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb