Tokyo, Matsumoto & Fuji Rock


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Tokyo
September 25th 2010
Published: September 25th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Sooo behind with my blogs… We went to Japan at the end of July for the Fuji Rock Festival. But first we spent a few days in Tokyo and visited a few of our favourite spots: Akiabara -electronic/geek heaven (more for Paul than me obviously), Mori Tower and Art Musuem - amazing views and art fix, Ginza - posh shops, Sony 3D aquarium (!) and the Lion Beer Hall, Shibuya - great looking restaurants under the railway arches, Ueno - nice park, beer & yakitori under more railway arches, lots of delicious sushi.

Next up was Matsumoto to visit Teimei-san and Akiko-san who we first met about 5 years ago when we happened upon their pub specialising in Scottish malt whiskies in this tiny Japanese mountain town. We’ve met up with them a few times in Edinburgh when they were over on a twice yearly trip documenting Scotland’s distilleries. They must have the most comprehensive record of Scottish distilleries!

Then it was time for Fuji Rock! This will be so different from the wet miserable UK festival experiences! I was expecting to chill out in the sunshine, sitting on a grassy slope, beer in hand, watching the bands. It tipped down every evening; the ground was either rocky, muddy or already commandeered by well equipped festivallers with their plastic tarpaulin and camping chairs. Don’t get me wrong it was nice weather during the day, we got sunburnt… We came a little under prepared! The site is huge and got very crowded - a nice friendly crowd though! We didn’t manage to party on beyond the headlining acts, being very footsore, usually sodden and knackered (not as young as we once were…)! So back to the campsite… festival camping is gross, I’m not doing it again. Hotel or nothing next time. Oh and the music - yes, it was very good. Highlights were Roxy Music, Them Crooked Vultures, John Fogerty, LCD Soundsystem, The xx and a bunch of bands we didn't know. I was so glad to get back to our apartment in Shanghai though - straight in the shower! And air con, and a comfy bed - bliss!

For more photos see my flickr page


Additional photos below
Photos: 35, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.109s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0698s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb