Tokyo - A City of Gentle People


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Tokyo
November 29th 2008
Published: November 29th 2008
Edit Blog Post


Toyko, which means Eastern Capital, is a city of 12 million people with 8 million in the city proper. Japan has a population of 127 million. Buddhism and Shintoism are the main religions, although Japanese people like to celebrate Christmas each year. In the 17th Century, Toyko was larger than Paris and London when Japanese society was very peaceful. There are no casinos in Japan. Public transport is excellent in Tokyo. Interestingly on the bus from Narita airport to Tokyo, we were asked not to use our mobile telephones, as they annoy other people on the bus.

Education is valued in Japan. There are 750 Universities and 450 2 Year Colleges. 76% of the Universities and 88% of the 2 Year Colleges are run privately. Parents aim to get their children into a good school. English conversation is taught at most levels in school.

60% of the land is mountainous, 13% used for agriculture and the rest for residences. Cedar trees proliferate. The pollen from these trees can cause common colds, causing some people to wear face masks.

On Friday 28th November I took a Sunrise Tour to Mt Fuji and Harkone. Mt Fuji is located 120 km from Tokyo. We travelled by expressway. All expressways in Japan are tolled. Being a volcanic country, Japan is used to earth tremors, having between 500 and 1000 each year.

Mt Fuji has been regarded as a sacred mountain since ancient times and has influenced Japanese culture accordingly. Being 3,776m high, it is the highest mountain in Japan. It is 39 km across the cone and 153 km across the base. Mt Fuji last erupted 300 years ago and today is described as an active volcano. It has five surrounding lakes formed as a result of lava flows. The mountain takes five hours to climb from the fifth level, where the road ceases.

Hargome, located near Mt Fuji, welcomes 20 million visitors a year, particularly people wishing to see the hot springs. These springs began to be used for medicine about 1000 years ago, first by aristocrats and then by the wider population.




Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

Owakuzawa Explosion CraterOwakuzawa Explosion Crater
Owakuzawa Explosion Crater

The crater still discharges poisonous hydrogen sulphide and sulphur dioxide after 3000 years.
Volcanic Crater LakeVolcanic Crater Lake
Volcanic Crater Lake

A traditional Japanese sailing vessel
Imperial PalaceImperial Palace
Imperial Palace

The emperor and his wife, with their 100 servants live elsewhere these days.


Tot: 0.113s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0405s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb