Day 9 ~ Extreme Tokyo


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Tokyo
June 2nd 2007
Published: June 2nd 2007
Edit Blog Post

Day 9 ~ Touching story of Hachiko …… Nice Sushi @ Tsukiji …. Affordable shopping @ Ueno … Rare Carpenters find @ Harajuku …


We started our final day in Tokyo @ the fishy Tsukiji Fish Market for our sushi breakfast. The fishy smell had lingered in the air as soon as the MRT doors opened. It was a feast to our eyes and stomach as we watched fresh succulent sushi prepared before our eyes by the experienced, friendly chefs.

Stopping by at the famous Asakusa Sensoji Temple this afternoon, I met tourists from around the world along the long and overcrowded touristy shopping street. The temple complex did not have much appeal to me as it was undergoing some renovation. I threw in a coin in the wishing well hoping that I would have a safe flight back home tomorrow evening.

We reached Ueno in the afternoon stopping by at Ueno Park to have my picture taken with the charismatic statue of Saigo Takamori, a warrior who didn’t live to witness the Meiji Restoration in 1868. Shopping at the colourful Ameya-Yokocho Arcade was fun. This was probably the best place to shop and browse in Tokyo. Each of us went home with an ultra thin brolly at an affordable 500 yen.

Our tour continued to Harajuku ~ a heaven for all teenagers stuffs. This is also another must go place to shop in Tokyo where prices are relatively stable. The flagship 4 storey DAISO (100 yen shop) is also housed here. There must be something in store for even the fussiest shoppers. It was at one of the 2nd hand record store that I found something I had been looking for a very long time. A long out of print Carpenters Live Album from London.

It simply made my final day in Tokyo!

S was telling me about a beautiful touching story of a dog (Hachiko) who would accompany his master to Shibuya station every morning to see him off for work. In the evening, Hachiko would return to the station to wait for his return. This went on for a few years until one day in 1925 when the master fell very sick and died at his workplace. Loyal Hachiko returned home alone that same evening.

What touched me was that for the next 11 years, Hachiko would return to the same
spot at the station every evening waiting for his master to come back. Of course, the master never return again. The faithful dog passed away in 1936.

His loyalty was not lost on the Japanese people as they saw Hachiko growing older and sicker day by day. They erected a statue in memory of him as well as naming one of the station exits, the Hachiko Exit. Do look out for it the next time you are in Shibuya.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



Tot: 0.128s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0928s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb