Background: In 1603, a Tokugawa shogunate (military dictatorship) ushered in a long period of isolation from foreign influence in order to secure its power. For 250 years this policy enabled Japan to enjoy stability and a flowering of its indigenous culture. Following the Treaty of Kanagawa with the United States in 1854, Japan opened its ports and began to intensively modernize and industrialize. During the late 19th and early 20th centuries, Japan became a regional power that was able to defeat the forces of both China and Russia. It occupied Korea, Formosa (Taiwan), and southern Sakhalin Island. In 1933 Japan occupied Manchuria and in 1937 it launched a full-scale invasion of China. Japan attacked US forces in 1941 - triggering America's entry into World War II - and soon occupied much of East and Southeast Asia. After its defeat in World War II, Japan recovered to become an economic power and a staunch ally of the US. While the emperor retains his throne as a symbol of national unity, actual power rests in networks of powerful politicians, bureaucrats, and business executives. The economy experienced a major slowdown starting in the 1990s following three decades of unprecedented growth, but Japan still remains a major economic power, both in Asia and globally. In 2005, Japan began a two-year term as a non-permanent member of the UN Security Council.
Photos from Ueno
Blogs from Ueno
Latest Blogs from Ueno
- November 11th 2013 Afscheid van Tokyo
by Words: 237 Photos: 0
- November 11th 2013 Last day Tokyo
by Words: 332 Photos: 7
- October 14th 2013 A Day at the Museum
by Words: 910 Photos: 30
- October 7th 2013 The Big Adventure
by Words: 466 Photos: 0
- May 27th 2013 Tokyo rose anyone?
by Words: 947 Photos: 11
- February 12th 2013 Japanese Shrine
by Words: 139 Photos: 3
- February 12th 2013 Food Glorious food!
by Words: 302 Photos: 3
- October 28th 2012 Japan
by Words: 3882 Photos: 0
- May 26th 2012 More zooey fun!
by Words: 24 Photos: 25
- May 25th 2012 I'm going to the 動物園 動物園 動物園。。。not as catchy in japanese 😱
by Words: 147 Photos: 21
- April 28th 2012 Making Up For Lack of Photos
by Words: 48 Photos: 16
- April 27th 2012 The Lost LAX Entry
by Words: 817 Photos: 0
- April 27th 2012 Another Missing Entry - First Arrival at Narita Airport / Skyliner
by Words: 269 Photos: 0
- April 5th 2012 Cherry blossoms at last - partying Japanese style in Tokyo
by Words: 644 Photos: 40
- January 3rd 2012 Tokyo wrap up and on to Kyoto
by Words: 759 Photos: 7
- August 23rd 2011 In Japan!
by Words: 102 Photos: 0
- April 26th 2011 Here We Go!
by Words: 488 Photos: 10
- April 23rd 2011 Dag 19-20: Tokyo
by Words: 814 Photos: 5
- April 21st 2011 Dag 18 Kyoto - Tokyo
by Words: 120 Photos: 9
- March 5th 2011 Japan - Ginza and Ameyoko
by Words: 1530 Photos: 5