The Sento Experience


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Tokyo » Akihabara
February 9th 2008
Published: February 14th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Typical SentoTypical SentoTypical Sento

Pretty close to what it actually looked like.

Dont Mind The Wrinkly Old Men



Jason and I were supposed to go to Hakone to dip in some hot springs(onsen), but it didn't exactly work out since it was fully booked. Instead, we found a public bath(sento) that we thought would serve as a good substitute. We certainly got more than we bargained for. Japanese sento's origins date back to the first century. They have naturally declined in number, since alot of Japanese homes (like mine) are built with a deep bath tub. Even so they are still important. Japan is a busy, crowded place with people stuck pretty well in their routines. Sometimes the sento is the only place for company workers to unwind, especially since its such a large area to relax and many pleasures can be satisfied all in one place at a decent price. Sometimes this is the only place where some people can get a sense of peace and solitude from their co-workers and even their families.

If memory serves me right, it was 6 floors high. We only had to pay about $10 to get in for an 1 hour and a half. The first floor was lined with lockers. We found
Typical Sento 2Typical Sento 2Typical Sento 2

The main focus is the mini-showers near the bottom.
the ones we were assigned to, then put on our blue bathrobes. Other than a hand towel, clothes are not allowed, so we dispatched our robes. Then we made it the actual bath area. It was really quite something. First you sat down on a stool and washed yourself. They provide you with everything you need, including toothbrushes, shavers, lotion, and even cologne. Then we had a choice of several different "Jacuzzis" with different temperature settings. It was really soothing going up and down the scale of temps they had available. Dashing your face with cold water, while sitting in the really hot one was my favorite. Then they had the sauna rooms. I dont see how any one could stay in there longer than a minute. The air was so heavy, and my sinuses hurt from breathing in such hot air. I rushed for my life out of the room and told the guy left inside "ganbatte", or persevere.

After properly enjoying ourselves, we looked upstairs to see what else they had in store. Each floor had something special to suit your moods. One was a diner, where you ordered some tasty treats and delicious drinks for your
Ahh....Ahh....Ahh....

Now thats good livin'!
pleasure. Then on the next floor was a dream come true...well im sure for alot of people out there. There were recliners as far as the eye could see, each with their own TV;from which you could order from a menu what you wanted to watch. Everyone was still wearing their silky soft bath robes, mind you.

Then on the last floor, one had to be very quiet. This was a place of peace; of slumber. Jason and I took a well deserved nap, and all that remained in our heads was "Life is Good".



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Shhh.....Shhh.....
Shhh.....

Good thing I remembered to turn of the flash.


Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0435s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb