A pot of silver at the end of the Iwami rainbow


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Shimane
April 13th 2008
Published: April 24th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Actually, there was more than a pot - way more.

Discovered in 1526, at the peak of its production around the early 17th century one third of the world's silver came from the Iwami mines. Many of the technologies and methods used here spread to other parts of Asia.

One of the mine shafts is open to the public, the many others are closed off with grates at the entrance. Getting into those would be one way to not be found in a hurry...


500 sounds like a pretty good number - Gohyakurakan

Created to commerate those who had died working in the mines, the initial plan was to create 16 stone arhat/rakan (Buddhas), but the idea grew and despite problems raising the funds eventually it was settled that there should be 500. These aren't 500 replicas either - they all have perfectly preserved individual features and frozen-forever expressions, 25 years in the making.
I'm not sure if it were the case before the area gained World Heritage status in July 2007, but nowadays inside the Gohyakurakan is a photography free zone for tourists. Quite a shame really.


Additional photos below
Photos: 28, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Iwami Ginzan World Heritage AreaIwami Ginzan World Heritage Area
Iwami Ginzan World Heritage Area

Jizo statues - prayers and offerings are made for the protection of souls (particularly children's) in the afterlife.
Iwami Ginzan World Heritage AreaIwami Ginzan World Heritage Area
Iwami Ginzan World Heritage Area

Jizo statues - prayers and offerings are made for the protection of souls (particularly children's) in the afterlife.
Iwami Ginzan World Heritage AreaIwami Ginzan World Heritage Area
Iwami Ginzan World Heritage Area

Home of the Gohyakurakan


17th April 2011

interesting place ! What prefecture is this? thanks !
17th April 2011

Iwami Ginzan
It's in Shimane, south-west of Honshu.

Tot: 0.112s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.061s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb