Hakuba doesn't suckuba


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Nagano » Hakuba
December 28th 2006
Published: December 28th 2006
Edit Blog Post

MakudonarudoMakudonarudoMakudonarudo

Hanbaga. Mm. Tomato. Mm. Teriyaki Chicken in pita with lotus root. Hm.
On our first morning here, we woke to fat flakes of white stuff settling on the ground. And it was snowing. Apparently the season has yet to really kick off here, but there's been enough snow higher up for the hardened bunnies we're staying with to get their kicks.

I won't regail you with tales of our trek from tokyo. Suffice to say "nihongo wa dekimasen". There's an international task force of bilingual gaijin here, half of them seem to be running the lodge. Sort of. Our ensuite hot water doesn't work and we've yet to get around to telling them. (Every time i remember, its after i've been thinking for some time. And where do you do most of your thinking?

We caught the slow train to Matsumoto today. Matsumoto-jo is Japan's fourth wicked-est castle according to the Lonely Planet Japan guidebook. It was designed to be easily defensible, featuring steep stairwells and really small inside-slippers. It also sports a team of ravenous carp patrolling the corner of the moat closest to the entrance, ever watchful for ninja breadcrumb invaders.

Tomorrow we venture up a mountain. We don't know which one, there are about 5 resorts in
Hakuba Powder LodgeHakuba Powder LodgeHakuba Powder Lodge

"It's where we are"
the area, one within walking distance. The snow is pretty new today but tomorrow the almost flat learner runs should be sufficently sprinkled to cushion our novice asses.

Oh yeah, merry christmas. What day is it anyway?


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

ToireToire
Toire

In case you were wondering what that crazy hinged thing was for.
HeroineHeroine
Heroine

Heroin/e?
Matsumoto-joMatsumoto-jo
Matsumoto-jo

featuring straw things. spot the hidden floor in the keep on the right. (It's a secret).
TronTron
Tron

Big ups to the Matsumoto Posse for this one.


Tot: 0.107s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0627s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb