Getting on through Japan


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Kyoto
June 5th 2011
Published: June 4th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Weather’s had its up and downs recently, Osaka was pretty down! We got soaked haha and the exact words before leaving the house were ‘should we take the umbrellas? Nah should be alright its pretty clear. Yeah we’ll be fine!’ how wrong were we. Still we checked out the city, and were straight away disappointed that it was in fact a city again full of serious suits, subways and high rise buildings! But did find a wiked samurai castle to wander and had our own local guide explain all about the history of this huge place where ‘in WW2 the military used the dried moat as a cabbage patch’ haha.
The lovely couple we stayed with were such great cooks and insisted on making us everything they loved about Japanese food, was awesome!! So spoilt ha! Watched the national team while the man of the house stood a foot from the TV shouting as if he was a there, or at least that's was I managed to translate!
Sat with a local who made us origami then basically walked us to our next destination, never seen someone so grateful to have had a conversation with us. He was so happy!! The genuine Japanese people are amazing and feel so privileged to have us experiencing their country they try doing anything to help and just what to talk and take pictures!
So we went to Kyoto and found a new couchsurfer who was a uni student, only 19 and only had a small uni pad and probably not much money being a student but gave us what he had and made breakfast and dinner every day! Kyoto is yet another city but this place is different. Its smaller, the people are down to earth and there are kids here!!
Our first meal we went out for the waiters all gathered as we entered, bowed then shouted something haha, none of them spoke much English but they had a translator pad so turned out to be an entertaining meal, even got some spirits from the Secret Menu then shouted at again on the way out ha!
We rented bikes for the 2 days we had because they were something like 17 World Heritage Sites, 1600 temples and 400 shrines! So set off to see what we could get done, every one is different but the same basic rules apply of bows, clapping and bell ringing to pay respect. Saw the Golden Palace where we actually met some kids for the first time in Japan! On some sort of school trip to learn English so sat and practiced with them, all the school girls loved us, all taking pictures and we were told that we’re sooo cool! Obviously!
Went to train as samurai warriors with a local master!! Techniqually called Kendo now as they don’t fight anymore but was the closest you can get! Taught sword techniques, history and stuck on some warrior gear and had a play about! So watch out I am now a trained samurai!!
The temples and shrines are never ending so spent another full day hunting them done, one was huge and made all of wood, no nails and about 30m high! Pretty impressive and did me well.. a couple of students guided us round explaining the different areas, first I found the sacred stone in the dark room to make a wish, held the Buddha’s iron staff for everlasting leg strength, got a blessing at the Shrine of Love and finshed it off by drinking from the Waterfall of Health obviously gaining good health which is a bit late after a year of roughing it but still not a bad days work really, I think I should be alright for a while.
Got lost on a river trying to find another shrine but stumbled across a student BBQ party on the shore so got well amongst it, watched the sunset over a bEAutiful lake and called it a day after around 400km cycled, with one great crash!!
Mountain bound tomorrow so we see if these spiritual stuff has paid off and gets me back in one peice.. I highly doubt it! For now, sianada x


Advertisement



Tot: 0.094s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0369s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb