Photo Caption Contest: See Inside For Details (Closed)


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Kyoto » Kyoto
August 20th 2006
Published: August 29th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Sarah's Winning EntrySarah's Winning EntrySarah's Winning Entry

Stars - They're Just Like Us! "Mary-Kate Olsen loses keys in this fall's must-have fur purse!" Congratulations Sarah!
You read about it in literature, you hear about it from fellow travelers, and you see pictures of it from every source. Steeped in tradition, Kyoto is bursting at the seams with a collection of gardens and pagodas and everything else that has come to represent Japan.

So imagine our surprise when we stepped off the train and walked out of Kyoto Station and into one of the ugliest welcoming sights we've seen in ages. Kyoto Tower looks like a cheap candle, and it's surrounded by boring concrete blocks. The station is actually a very nice glass and steel structure, but unfortunately it's behind you, so you don't notice it until you leave.

Thankfully, this beautiful city more than makes up for any shortcomings upon arrival, and you soon realize it was a good idea you decided not to turn around at the station.

With a shortened day due to the transfer from Osaka, we hit up the NW sector of the city, otherwise known as Sagano and Arashiyama. It's a great place for a stroll, and possibly one of the most charming neighbourhoods we've ever seen. It has some traditional houses lining quiet streets, your usual assortment of temples
SaganoSaganoSagano

Peaceful residential street in Kyoto.
and shrines, and one other great surprise...monkeys!

The Arashiyama Monkey Park is situated atop Iwatayama and is home to about 150 monkeys. These furry little bastards are all over the place. On the slide, on the swings, on the teeter-totter, on benches and garbage cans and bikes and occasionally, on the people too.

As you're out in the open with the monkeys, there are a few rules to ensure your safety. You're not supposed to stare at them, as it provokes them into throwing poo; you're not supposed to feed them outside the enclosure; and finally - and this is my favourite - don't touch the monkeys!

We spent a good hour in the park (which also provides a sweeping panorama of Kyoto) walking among the monkeys and taking pictures. As you can see, we managed to capture a few gems, one of which is the main topic of this blog.

Here's the deal: write a clever title and caption for the leading photo and submit your entry as a comment on this blog. Denise and I will pick our favourite (or we may select the top submissions and let you vote for the best), and
ArashiyamaArashiyamaArashiyama

On the Togetsu-kyo overlooking the Oi River.
the winner will receive a prize in the mail.

Disclaimer: Use at your own risk. Not open to residents of Quebec. Void where prohibited. No purchase necessary. Free with purchase. May not be combined with any other offer. Hand wash, hang to dry. Wash with like colours. Dry clean only. Lather, rinse, repeat. Improper use may case injury or death. For external use only. Harmful if swallowed. Discontinue use and contact a Physician if rash appears. Do not induce vomiting. Avoid contact with eyes. Avoid contact with perverts. Does not prevent pregnancy. Reduces the risk of sexually transmitted diseases such as: genital herpes, syphillis, chlamydia, gonorrhea, avian flu, and mad cow. Not responsible for lost or stolen articles. In case of emergency dial 9-1-1. This blog is intended for the use of the individual subscriber(s) and may contain information that is confidential, privileged or unsuitable for overly sensitive, uneducated persons with low self-esteem, no sense of humour and/or irrational religious beliefs. No animals were harmed in the writing of this blog, but a cat got neutered and my landlords dog is living on borrowed time.

Comments, questions, concerns? Contact the legal department.

Camille & Denise


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Bamboo AvenueBamboo Avenue
Bamboo Avenue

It's an avenue...of bamboo...I can't always come up with a funny remark, y'know?!
MonkeysMonkeys
Monkeys

You just wanna spank 'em!
Biker MonkeyBiker Monkey
Biker Monkey

Got the keys...let's get this bitch on the road!
Branch ManagerBranch Manager
Branch Manager

You should see his assistant!
Iwatayama Monkey ShrineIwatayama Monkey Shrine
Iwatayama Monkey Shrine

See no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil.


29th August 2006

DISCLOSURE!
First off, I resent the comment made in the disclosure: and I quote "Not open to residents of Quebec". Being a resident of Quebec, I will not only enter the contest, but I intend to win!! With that said, my entry for the caption is..... WAIT.. STOP... Before you read the caption.. I do say that it has perhaps crossed the border into inappropriate-land.. But I'm willing to take that chance to well represent my fellow Quebecers.. VIVE LE QUEBEC..... "Yep, they were right. Sushi IS the number one delicacy of Japan."
29th August 2006

Could Be Fun
No, I swear, I can finish. Come on baby, I can finish!!
30th August 2006

Contest entry
Stars - They're Just Like Us! "Mary-Kate Olsen loses keys in this fall's must-have fur purse!"
31st August 2006

Peaches
You're Not kidding! You did put a peach pit in your bum for me!
31st August 2006

Inappropriate Partners
"Frank, I told you that bitch Mabel was no good!!"
3rd September 2006

Contest
"Are you sure these nuts are low fat? You know I'm on a diet."
7th September 2006

Naughty naughty
"That's it! That's the right hole!"

Tot: 0.192s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 17; qc: 99; dbt: 0.0978s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb