Crown Jewel


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Kyoto » Kyoto
August 21st 2006
Published: September 5th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Kinkaku-jiKinkaku-jiKinkaku-ji

The Golden Pavillion...the biggest disappointment in Kyoto.
Shortly after the Second World War, the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO)was established in an effort to promote peace and to prevent nasty little conflicts such as World War III*. Stemming from that came the World Heritage Center, a body which aims to preserve cultural heritage and conserve natural areas of a global importance. Since the creation of these two bodies, Kyoto has had 17 sites recognized and placed on the World Heritage List, a fitting tribute to over 2000 temples and shrines located within the city.

*Note: I'd like to point out that two of the main founding states, the U.K. and France, were really only there to prevent another war breaking out on their soil (and I'm sure France didn't want to get occupied again). But apparently genocide and blowing the shit out of an African or Middle Eastern country is A-OK!

Kyoto is a wonderful city, especially the eastern half, namely the districts of Higashiyama and Gion. You can hardly walk down a street without stumbling upon the steps of some shrine or temple - owing to Kyoto being the capital of Japan off and on since 794 until Tokyo became the capital in 1868.
Jishu ShrineJishu ShrineJishu Shrine

At the top of a very steep hill packed with tourists and shops...not the best place to be riding your bike.
Thankfully, most of the shops and restaurants along the (touristy) streets maintain a traditional Japanese façade, lending to a feel of exploring a city with more than its fair share of history.

Denise and I rented bikes for a few days, by far the best way to get around as it saves your feet and provides a little breeze to cool you off - the downside being a sore ass at the end of the day. We spent hours cruising the streets, stopping along the way to check out what's nestled behind large wooden gates or beyond towering toriis. While visiting some of the sites can be a little redundant, what you see in Kyoto is usually the biggest and best of what you'll encounter across Japan. Regardless of our 'been there, done that' attitude, we couldn't help but have a great time.

Our only disappointments with Kyoto were the following:
1) Golden Pavillion: while impressive all its own, you're herded along a very short path and aren't allowed to wander the grounds. The steep admission charge and 45 minute bus ride were hardly worth the trouble.
2) Nijo-jo: the castle was closed when we biked by, and
Yasaka PagodaYasaka PagodaYasaka Pagoda

We didn't feel like walking to Toji Pagoda, the tallest in Japan...but I'm sure it looks just like this one.
it's not really on the way to anything else.
3) Imperial Palace: just like Tokyo, access is restricted and most of it's a gravel parking lot which is very difficult to pedal through.

One last highlight of the trip was K's House, our clean, comfortable, and most excellent hostel. This place is nicer than our apartment in Masuda and is an ideal home on the road. In the true spirit of backpacking we slept in dorm rooms and got to meet some great people from Ireland, Australia, Canada, and the States. If you ever stay there, check for my cartoon in volume 10 of their customer comment book.

I promise it's in good taste.

Camille & Denise


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Ginkaku-jiGinkaku-ji
Ginkaku-ji

The Silver Pavillion...less striking than its Golden counterpart, but the grounds are much more impressive.
BridgeBridge
Bridge

Ummm...
HigashiyamaHigashiyama
Higashiyama

An unknown street, decidedly Japanese.
Rokuon-jiRokuon-ji
Rokuon-ji

That's the proper name of the Golden Pavillion...it's still a rip-off however.
Name?Name?
Name?

They all look the same.


7th September 2006

Kyoto Blues
At least with the shrines all looking pretty much the same, you can't really say you missed anything if you forgot to visit one. Besides, when WWIII actually does happen, they'll all be blown to smithereens for holding teachings of mass destruction anyway.

Tot: 0.193s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 18; qc: 105; dbt: 0.1001s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb