Glimpsing Geisha


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Kyoto » Kyoto
August 4th 2008
Published: September 21st 2008
Edit Blog Post

Kyoto




Japan's second capital is really a beautiful city. There are shrines and shops and generally a lot of people and I find them to be very friendly. Originally I had planned to take Danilo to many places, like the golden temple, to fushimi foz shrine, ad a few other favourites.

Instead, we ended up being stuck in the city - but weren't disppointed by that. We lost ourselves in Teramachi, browsing shopping and eating.

It is a realy pleasant area to explore, with long alleys full of various shops, selling either traditional Japanese crafts, or modern Japanese clothing. We wandered for hours, ate sushi, discovered a stall selling portuguese tarts...and were quite content.

After exploring for hours, we walked along the riverbank, and then headed across the Kamogawa (River Kamo) to explore Gion. It was about 5pm, and we thought we might be lucky enough to see some geisha, or at the very least some Maiko.

Our hard work (standing around and waiting - not so difficult) paid off, and we saw 2 maiko scurrying away.

Despite being garbed in heavy kimono, and teetering along on Geta sandals, they can move surprisingly quickly. The only problem was, we weren't the only people there, so some of our pictures include gawping tourists (we of course, are not included in that category). They're also quite far away, but I intend to try again in future.

I really like that there are still Geisha in Gion. Kyoto is a city where there are contradictions in fashion, mindsets and even architecture. The old and the new are havily juxtaposed, with 200 year old shrines sitting quite happily in the midst of massive shopping districts.

You can see towering department stores next to small wooden shrines hung with lanterns, and hairsprayed pierced youth walking alongside yukata wearing women (and men!).

We made a small detour to the shrine of Gion. It is a large orange building sitting at the end of of a busy road, but once you climb the stairs and enter, it is surprisingly peaceful.

They have purification fountains, prayer boards, and of course, raked gravel...and as your feet crunch with each step, you can easily imagine being transported back 200 years or so, and find some peace away from the hustle and bustle of the city streets.

Kyoto is still my favourite city, with it's quaint charm and hidden personality. Much ike the shy smile of a maiko occasionally glimpsed from behind her fan, Kyoto has much to discover behind it's mask.


Our day ended in a lively izakaya, where everything you order, including jug sized beers, is 280 Yen. The waiters and waitresses call out to one another, diner is greeted with a heary

"irrashaimasseee!"

and a really convival atmosphere accompanies delicious food.

This was not to be the only time we frequented that place while Danilo was here, and many a time our thoughts turned to the crispy chicken, the juicy skewered meat, and the cool edamame beans.

It's no surprise i've regained the weight I had lost, because there is so much good food on offer here. I have to grow another stomach, just like Japanese girls are rumoured to have. They have one for dinner and one for dessert, and sriously, that's not a bad way to live!


Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

GeishaGeisha
Geisha

SUrrounded by gawkers. Geez, who dod they think they-oh wait, i'm doing the same thing...


Tot: 0.18s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 59; dbt: 0.0844s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb