Hina Matsuri and Plum Blossoms again!


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Kagawa
February 28th 2009
Published: August 27th 2010
Edit Blog Post

DollsDollsDolls

Mariko and Katie
Winter has started to fade away and the first blossoms of the year, plum blossoms, have returned to Shikoku and this year I went to the Utazu Hina Matsuri (Doll Festival) and Ritsurin Koen(Park) again. I really love this time of year when the weather starts to warm up!
Hina Matsuri ~ It’s pretty intriguing to see the old section of the town I work in all dolled up (literally and figuratively) and open for everyone to see. Even though it’s a bit weird to look into or walk into a stranger’s house, it is quite interesting. I’m a bit of a nosey person by nature. Mariko, Katie, Simon and I all went together through the town. We also visited some temples, ate some snacks (They had some really, really scrumptious fried octopus.) and looked at the displays. At the last temple we visited there was a tea ceremony serving up some macha(green tea) and cakes. The ceremony was inside an old temple room next to an amazing garden. I can really see how people can meditate for hours in a temple when they have a view like that.
Ritsurin Koen ~ The next day Simon and I went to Ritsurin Koen to stroll around the park and see the 100s of plum blossoms there. Unfortunately we both forgot our cameras and didn’t remember until we were already on the train. In the end we ended up buying a disposable camera. The weather was perfect for a stroll through the blossoms, the sun fighting off some of the winter air. In some ways I prefer plum blossom season over cherry blossom season. Plum blossoms smell heavenly and they come in such vivid colors, but the blossoms are a little sparse. Cherry blossoms don't have any smell, but they form such beautiful canopies full of pale pink above your head that is nothing short of magical. In either season, I love Ritsurin so much. I wish I lived right next to it I would visit it all the time to see the constant changes in flora as the months go by.



Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Very SeriousVery Serious
Very Serious

Statue at a shrine
Me at Ritsurin KoenMe at Ritsurin Koen
Me at Ritsurin Koen

Beautiful trees!!!
Simon in the Plum GroveSimon in the Plum Grove
Simon in the Plum Grove

Ritsurin is such a fabulous place to walk.


Tot: 0.121s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0842s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb