Nagamachi district


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Ishikawa » Kanazawa
March 30th 2010
Published: March 30th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Nagamachi District
We walked to the Nagamachi District via Hyakumangoku dori (a million stone road). As we set foot on the Nagamachi District, we could see the flavour of the former castle town, with beige coloured walls and pine trees. We looked round the little garden consisting of stepping stones, lanterns, hedges with autumn coloured foliage, gravel surface, and teahouse, which was designed by the trainee.

We popped in the art gallery displaying and selling numerous pieces of Kutani pottery (2nd well-known pottery after the Arita pottery in Japan). We admired beautiful plates, bowls, dinner sets, teapots, and vases.

Nomura House (Samurai House)
We continued strolling around the Nagamachi District, and then reached the heritage building i.e. Nomura House, known as the former Samurai House. We looked round the authentic Japanese rooms with the family's treasure including warrior, ornaments, and pictures, and looked at the beautiful garden, consisting of the little stream, bamboo screens, lantern, koi pond, cypress wood and water plants. We also looked round the tea room at the upstairs and exhibition of coins, certificates, records of merchant trade, and porcelain which were used for ceremonial occasions.


There are several heritage houses around the Nagamachi District, On the way back to the hotel, we popped in the Takada House. We were free to stroll through the Kaga style garden and exhibitions around the entrance area of the house.


There were information panels of lower feudal class people and their role was essentially shadowing samurais. Their duties included brushing and polishing swords, making costumes, and preparing for ceremonial occasions.

We walked though the residential areas and shopping streets to the hotel. We went to "Nihonkai ", one of the chain Izakaya restaurants near our hotel. We both had a set menu consisting of sashimi (raw fish) selection, rice, miso soup, salad, tempura etc. I ordered "homemade Japanese style croquette". I also drank the local brand of sake.

On 23 October, we had breakfast at the hotel. The buffet breakfast offered selections of food used for both Japanese and western meals.



Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.046s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0242s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb