Hiroshima


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Hiroshima
November 10th 2007
Published: December 1st 2007
Edit Blog Post

Right so we arrived in Hiroshima via bullet train after checking out of the hostel and getting a lovely present each of chopsticks (all delighted with ourselves)! got a crammed tram for 20 minutes and a 5 minute walk to hostel under the navigational skills of Caitriona! off course we were in rooms on the 4th floor! up the stairs with our bags which would have probably killed us a week earlier! nice table and futons! then after not too long we head off for some grub in where else but Molly Malones! leave there 6 hours later..ahem...a good time had by all! off to the hostel with bitter thoughts of making our futon! have a little sleep in..well deserved!
over to the 7/11 for some salad sandwiches then venture out to find Hiroshima Castle and its starts rainin which wasn't in our plan by the way but not for long! find the castle without any problems and sure what else would you do in a castle but dress up as a samari! then we go to see the Atomic bomb dome which is a very striking building which is situated in the city but is in the same form as after the bombing. a little eerie! just down from that is the peace garden and the childrens garden which are imaculate!onto the hiroshima Peace museum which was extremely honest and hid none of the grafic details from the day weeks months and years after the bombing. there were human remains on display...we left there a little depressed!but found some yummy pizza which comforted us!
the next day we went to 7/11 to buy a packed lunch for our day trip! it consisted of a loaf of bread, a salad bowl and crisps! headed off on the tram to get the ferry to Miyajima island which has the Shinto gate which indicated the whole island is sacred. nobody is permitted to die or be born there!and tame deer are allowed to roam freely( which we found out quite quickly!) when one poked his head into Claires bag!
we went to the Itsukushima Shrine which is built on stilts over the cove. we attended a wedding which was held there too! also saw a dancing man with a wand who kept us entertained for 20 mins! getting a little peckish we decided to have our packed lunch when we turned around we were surrounded by deer! so had to find a secluded part of the forest to dine when Caitriona accidentally dropped her bottle of water down the side of the hill just as the wedding party were passing which got caught in a branch and just missed them! finally the tide went out and we were able to walk out to the base of the torii! got the ferry back and headed for the hostel and packed up ready for the big move!
Cora

Advertisement



Tot: 0.106s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 15; qc: 30; dbt: 0.037s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb