Aizu-Wakamatsu: Home to Samurai, Sake, and a Castle


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Fukushima » Aizu » Aizuwakamatsu
June 17th 2006
Published: July 3rd 2006
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Aizu-Wakamatsu

Approximate travel route from Fukushima City, through Koriyama to Aizu.

Local trainLocal trainLocal train

The local train destined for Aizu.
*I have more pictures to upload, so check back later in the week for additional photos*

Rusty and I spent the day in Aizu-Wakamatsu, located in the Fukushima prefecture, about 2 hours away from Fukushima City by train. The train trip there took us through the mountain area of Mt. Bandai-Asahi National Park where a mountain range comes together at the place where 3 prefectures meet.

Luckily, it was a beautiful day in Aizu and we were able to find a local tourist hop-on, hop-off bus that would take s to the local sites. Aizu is known for its samurai past and was involved in the Boshin War of 1868. One of the major sites for tourists here is a hill called Iiomoriyama where a band of teenage samurais committed mass suicide when they mistakenly thought that their castle had fallen to imperial forces trying to reinstate the emperor of Japan.

Tsuruga castle is in the centre of the city, surrounded by a moat and tree-lined area. It is a 5 storey castle and is pretty well hidden from the modern town. We went inside the castle which is now a museum and saw original works of art,
Tour busTour busTour bus

Our local tour bus which took us all around Aizu to the major sites.
samurai costumes, swords, and other artefacts. The top of the castle has a viewing platform for some spectacular views of the surrounding mountains and city.

In the courtyard of the castle there is a traditional tea garden. We took a walk along the path of the garden and saw the recreations of the original structures that were on the grounds. We opted out of the tea and decided to make our way back to the tour bus to the samurai houses across town. On our way, we saw a 17th century medicinal herb garden but didn’t have time to stop.

The samurai residence is a complex village in itself with a large living quarter, rice grinding mill, shrine, and other buildings. The houses each had statues inside depicting what life was like for the samurai. Luckily enough, this was one of the few places that actually had English descriptions of things so we were able to know what was going on.

We were running out of time to catch our train back to Fukushima, so we had to skip the sake museum which also provided sake tasting. Maybe I will have to plan another trip to Aizu
MoatMoatMoat

The castle is surrounded by trees and a moat.
after all…



Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

good luckgood luck
good luck

I'm not sure what this animal is supposed to be, but he's a good luck charm. The entire Aizu area had pictures or statues of him everywhere.
Observation deckObservation deck
Observation deck

The view of Aizu from the top observation level of the castle
AizuAizu
Aizu

Aizu is surrouded by mountains.
Another view of AizuAnother view of Aizu
Another view of Aizu

The view of Aizu from the top observation level of the castle
Tea HouseTea House
Tea House

The entrance to the tea house and gardens.
Inside the gardenInside the garden
Inside the garden

The tea garden is located on the castle grounds, which can be seen in the background.
Samurai ResidenceSamurai Residence
Samurai Residence

The samurai residences had manequins on display to simulate samurai rituals.
Samurai housesSamurai houses
Samurai houses

Part of the samurai houses


Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 33; dbt: 0.0454s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb