Land of the rising sun (all the way from Russia!)


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Chiba » Narita
November 1st 2006
Published: November 1st 2006
Edit Blog Post

Narita townNarita townNarita town

view from hotel
The sun was very low on the horizon in Copenhagen as we taxied out at 3.45 pm. The northern autumn is just starting to show the first signs of shortening days. Also, the light is getting weaker.
Just after reaching top of climb and setting cruise towards the east we soon went into the night. Funny feeling being served your dinner at 5pm in pitch black night.

We somehow managed to jag seats in 1st class in the A340. There was a bit of a mix up with our seating in business and when we boarded we were shown into the special section up front. Huge area with only a few seats widely spaced. You could walk all around without being near anyone else. The service was excellent with full silver service dinner and top class wines. Kept coming all night!
Didn,t get much sleep though. Just get to lie flat and get the lights out after all the cabin service and then a few hours later (about midnight if you are on your departure time) the sun comes up as you head into it. (This happened over the eastern part of Russia!)
Not long after they "wake" you up for breakfast and by this time its about 1am your time.

Landed at Narita airport (Tokyo) about 10am Japan time and as you are still on your time of 3am you feel pretty rotten all day. We crashed in our hotel for a few hours and then got out and about.

We knew we were in Japan because all the cars were Toyotas, Subarus, Mazdas and Hondas. Makes you feel at home after not seeing one for 4 weeks! We had gotten used to BMWs, Fiats, Audis and Mercs.

Packed a lot into our 2 full days in Narita. Went into Tokyo by train (1 hour) yesterday and marveled at the Ginza. All my life have heard if it but wasnt expecting such a spectacle. After all the little old medieval towns in Europe (and even the big cities like Rome, Paris and Vienna) they are all low rise( about 6 stories) so their main churches and historic buildings are not overshadowed.
Tokyo is one huge mother of a seriously BIG town!

After the Ginza we went up the Tokyo Tower (taller than the Eiffel Twr) and it took our breath away. The lift goes
Tokyo TowerTokyo TowerTokyo Tower

Top half
all the way up the final needle to the point! WOW.

This morning we took a stroll after early breakfast down to the Naritasan Buddist Temple. We love this little Japanese town. Still the same as when I used to come here as SIA crew in '92-93.

As you can tell, the blogs now are rather rushed. We are leaving for Tokyo airport in a few hours and have dashed back into town to get this done. Soon we'll be on our Qantas flight home to Perth.

The pics you see are all I have time for, and SADLY folks,

THIS IS OUR LAST BLOG, it's all over. When we get home and catch our breath might add a couple more pics but I think the blog will self destruct in time. We have had a bit of fun with it and hope the pics have inspired you to get out there and travel as well.

Bye for now,

Adrian & Mary.


Additional photos below
Photos: 29, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Tokyo TowerTokyo Tower
Tokyo Tower

view from half way up
Tokyo TowerTokyo Tower
Tokyo Tower

View from top at dusk
A real treatA real treat
A real treat

we had one of these at the Tower! Yummy. One more of these and I'm OUTA HERE!
Adrian shopping in NaritaAdrian shopping in Narita
Adrian shopping in Narita

Oh no! not more bloody teapots!
TokyoTokyo
Tokyo

neat & clean after Rome!


Tot: 0.157s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 20; qc: 92; dbt: 0.0929s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb