Last day in Sumatra :(


Advertisement
Indonesia's flag
Asia » Indonesia » Sumatra » Medan
June 6th 2010
Published: June 6th 2010
Edit Blog Post

No alarm this morning but we still woke up pretty earlyish. Left GH at around 11 after saying bye to Fadil and Opick (and seeing some punky monkeys leap about on our roof). The trek through the village is much less fun when you're weighed down with a huge backpack, big swelt on! Grabbed bike thing (motorbike with a sidecar attached to it, like a sideways tuk tuk, 6000Rp) to bus station where we were put straight into minivan to Medan (20,000). It was quite empty when we set off but we knew what to expect. After going at a crawling pace for the next 20mins through the village there were 16 of us (and 4 big bags of fish that were taking up their version of 2 seats) in a 12 seater van!! Squishy 😊 I was next to window which made it much more bearable and journey was really quick, just about 2hrs 30.

We got dropped off at bus station where we caught the number 64 opulet. This seemed to take ages and when we got onto our street and went to get off, driver informed us that we'd come about 1km too far and would need to get the opulet going back the other way. Driver seemed a bit of a prat to be honest. He had been talking to us a little in the opulet and had asked Rob what religion he was, when Rob had said none he replied 'you're a Jew, you look like a Jew'. Hmmm. Then when we got out Rob asked how much and he replied "How much do you want to pay?' (we'd already read it should be about 6,000 each) so Rob gave him 12,000 and he said '2,000 more'. Anyway we just got a tuk-tuk thing to the GH for 10,000.

We're back on the roof at the sick room hotel but in the other room which is bigger, has better ventilation and doesn't smell of sick 😊 though toilet seat is still on the floor, beds are uncomfy and the towel looks like a hacky rag, well you can't have everything :p Went to Majestyk (an amazing bakery and cake shop) for bread and IndoMart for crisps and at IndoMart we found.....Sprite Zero!!! OMG how happy we were. Decided to spend the night on the net after the luxury tea of crisp sarnies, it was the best sliced bread we've had in Asia.

Flying to KL at 10.55am tomorrow.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.049s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 34; dbt: 0.0221s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb