Mad in Medan


Advertisement
Indonesia's flag
Asia » Indonesia » Sumatra » Medan
June 2nd 2010
Published: June 2nd 2010
Edit Blog Post

Got ferry at 10am after a hearty breakfast of honey pancakes mmm mmm. Spoke to a couple of girls on the jetty who assured us that the GH we were planning on going to in Medan was still standing (we hadn't been able to get through to them by phone and didn't want a repeat of Padang). We'd decided to get a 7 seater car (65,000) instead of the public bus (22,000) as it was much quicker. The car was supposed to leave at 11am however it soon became evident that we were the only people who had taken this option and the guy was wanting to try and get some more people. He asked us to wait till the next ferry and said if it was still just us then they'd take just the 2 of us (this was after trying to tell us we could pay 500,000 to have the car to ourselves and leave straight away and an unsuccessful attempt to persuade us to go straight to Bukit Lawang, I think my laughter told him he was onto a loser). Luckily they coaxed a German couple off the next ferry to join us (they haggled and probably paid a lot less but we hid in the car so we couldn't hear).

The journey was OK, we had the middle 3 seats to ourselves, the aircon was on and he only played his music for a small part of the journey :P We picked up the obligatory random local along the way obviously but we made it in really good time, about 4hrs with a stop, no wonder like the way he was driving. He was extremely impatient and overtook on the left, right and middle! When we got to Blue Angel where we were hoping to stay it was a hive of manic activity and they were down to their last couple of rooms. We took a one on the roof for 50,000 (very cheap for Medan). The best way I can think of to describe our room is a noisy, ridiculously small crack den, think that about covers it.

There's a plaza just across the road so Rob treated himself to a Maccy D's and I bought some cereal and milk (and a plastic bowl to eat it out of heheh). In internet now and I can safely say this is the noisiest internet place I've ever been in, full of kids playing shoot em up games with noise blasting and no headphones and Coldplay fighting to be heard over the top of it all.

p.s. it turned out chicken was a bad choice

Advertisement



Tot: 0.191s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 13; qc: 67; dbt: 0.1117s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb