Mina - The Legend of the Jungle - Bukit Lawang


Advertisement
Indonesia's flag
Asia » Indonesia » Sumatra » Bukit Lawang
February 17th 2010
Published: February 22nd 2010
Edit Blog Post

Warning: This blog entry is excessively long and detailed as this was quite possibly my favorite experience ever, so I have literally recorded everything in an attempt to re-live it. Unfortunately it doesn’t work like that, so skim-read and enjoy the best of the ridiculous amount of photos we took.

So after getting a semi decent night’s sleep, with the calls to prayer waking everybody up at about 4am in the morning, we went down to breakfast where we nervously waited to see whether our guide would actually turn up and wondering how strenuous the day ahead would turn out to be.

The main attraction in Bukit Lawang is the Orangutans; it is one of only two places in the world (the other being Borneo) where you can see Orangutans in the wild. There is a rehabilitation centre nearby for Orangutans which have been rescued from various situations including being people's pets. Here they teach the Orangutans how to fend for themselves in the wild before releasing them back into the jungle, although they still maintain a feeding session twice a day for those that cannot find enough food or have young to feed. Apparently the rehabilitation centre has now stopped releasing Orangutans back into the Sumatran jungle as Orangutans are very territorial creatures and the jungle has reached saturation point. Despite this fact, I had heard tales of people not seeing Orangutans at all on their trek and we were all hoping for the best.

Fortunately our guide did appear and we set off as a group of 8 on our trek. After walking for 5 minutes into the jungle we were surrounded by Thomas Leaf monkeys who were playing around us and posing for pictures. An hour of walking across fairly steady terrain led us to well walked tracks where we saw two Orangutans; one was the mother in her nest which they build in different places twice a day and the other was her baby who was playing high above her in the canopy. After watching the baby play for ten minutes we changed course and began rock climbing, quite literally, up hillside on less trekked routes. A few slips and trips later, we came across a bigger group of Orangutans that were again fairly high in the canopy. After straining our necks watching them and going temporarily blind every time they moved and foliage came tumbling into our eyes, they started to move lower down the trees and across the jungle. At this point our guides decided it would be a good idea to follow them. This was never going to be a good idea when they are 3 x as strong as we are, more agile and move a lot faster.

Nevertheless, follow them we did, and after much crashing around we managed to get close to a large female, who came down for a better look at us, which was a beautiful moment but also quite scary. She soon got bored of us, so we stopped to have lunch and were served a delicious traditional Indonesian meal on jungle leaves. As we were eating, two people ran past shouting the dreaded word 'Mina.' Mina is the legend of the Sumatran jungle. She is a very aggressive Orangutan who waits to attack passing groups as she has realised that then the guides will have to feed her as a distraction. Many of the guides claim to have received numerous scars by 'doing battle with Mina'. So as we approached, the guides chucked her bananas as an attempt to get her away from the path, but once she finished these she just took more menacing steps towards us (at which point everybody scattered screaming, including the men) so the guides had to give her more food, we were then told to tip toe down the side of the hill (we had just climbed) through the thick foliage and we would have to climb it again a bit further on. Thank you Mina!

The end of the trek seemed to involve no path at all and this time we were scrambling along very narrow cliff edges and swinging on vines before slipping down everywhere, it was fantastic fun, but I think we were all relieved to reach the campsite which was based by a waterfall. After the heat of the trekking, the freezing water was a great relief, where we sat reflecting on how fantastic the day had been. As we were returning to camp we watched as a large orange figure began making its way down the side of the waterfall with a tiny little baby - this was Jackie - a previous member of the rehabilitation centre. She waded across the river and cautiously got closer and closer before jumping into a tree and sitting right in front of us all. After watching her for a while and having photos taken next to her, she jumped down and gave one lady in our group a hug before sitting in her lap. It was amazing. She then came and sat in the middle of the circle of people and let us hold her vice like hand and stroke her and the baby. Eventually, Tom and Lee had to half carry/half drag her across the river and encourage her to go away as she had an eye on the food the whole time, and feeding Orangutans encourages aggressive behavior. It was a truly magical moment all the same. After Jackie and baby left us we had another wonderful meal before playing numerous puzzles, watching the fire flies and heading to bed early for the trek the next day that was to be even more difficult.

We awoke early the next morning and were just settling down to eat breakfast when once again we saw the Orange figure creeping down the side of the waterfall, this time there were no cute cuddles but she dove straight in and started drinking Ashleigh’s cup of tea. As people grabbed her hands trying to restrain her, she began snatching up egg sandwiches with her feet and devouring them. Before anybody had the chance to stop her, she made a beeline for the tent and pulled out a bag that had been filled with fruit for our trek, she then jumped into a tree and devoured the entirety of this bag in about two minutes - she seemed to put a whole orange into her mouth and then would spit out the peel - again whole. Quite impressive! Whilst being a ridiculously funny situation I couldn't help feel a bit sad as if she is able to find food from tour groups it pretty much goes against all of the good work that the rehabilitation centre has done in teaching them to forage themselves and to be dependant from humans. Still she is the exception and not the rule.

After the guides finally managed to shoo Jackie away we finally set off on the last leg of our trek. The first hour or so was relentlessly up a steep, steep hill which was difficult as we were all tired from the day before and had little to no sleep. Once we reached the top, we almost immediately started the descent which was fun, but again very steep, so there was a lot of hanging on to trees and vines and just jumping /slipping. In the last 50 meters I managed to lean with both my hands and all of my weight onto a thorn tree, so emerged from our trek with a hundred thorns stuck into both hands which the guide had to help me pull out in the river. After a quick swim in the river and lunch, we set off on the final stage of our jungle adventure which was tubing down the river back to the guest house. This involved them strapping four inflated tyres together with 6 people sat inside whilst meandering down certain parts of the river and bumping down all of the rapids, very safe, we only managed to lose one person in the rapids... the guide, probably the least convenient person to lose.

After returning to the village Ashley and I decided to walk along to an orphanage that had been opened a couple of years ago by a Dutch lady and her husband. This lady told us all about a huge flood that had devastated Bukit Lawang in 2003 and how nobody seemed to be doing anything to help this village and many of the children that had been orphaned. She explained to us how difficult it had been to collect the funds to start the project, the frustrations in coming up against numerous barriers and exactly what you have to sacrifice to do something like that. She really was an inspirational woman. After talking to her for about 30 minutes and buying some of the souvenirs that the children had made. We returned to the guest house contemplating the numerous ways you can help to make a difference.

Once again, an early night was called for after all of the excitement of the jungle, although I think I stayed up to write this blog entry, hence why it is so long, detailed and dull. But, I can honestly say that trekking in Bukit Lawang was one of the best experiences of my life so far and would recommend it to everyone and anyone!


NB Since finishing the trek in Gunung Leuser national park, we have found out that you should avoid touching Orangutans at all costs, as it is very easy to transfer human illnesses to them which could prove critical. For more information on responsible trekking with Orangutans please visit http://www.orangutans-sos.org/documents/478


Additional photos below
Photos: 51, Displayed: 28


Advertisement



22nd February 2010

Sooooooo Jealous!!!!!!!!!!
22nd February 2010

Cliffhanger!!!!
Ooo what a cliffhanger Rachel- what did Jackie do when she jumped down? Hope you're not going to drag this out like who killed Archie Mitchell on Eastenders - it was Stacy by the way and Bradley is now dead having fallen off the roof of the Queen Vic whilst being pursued by Police! The Photo's are superb - what a fantastic experience! Love to you both xx
24th February 2010

Orangutans
What an adventure. Definately one to tell the grandchildren in the future. Rachel-the blog was not at all boring, keep it up!. Much love. Keep safe. Lots of love from Hastings
24th February 2010

Mina
Glad to read the final part of this saga- this sounds such a fanastic place, there was a documentary on TV about the orangutans recently, very sad that they are losing their home. Looking forward to the next instalment- think you will have to publish this blog when you get home, makes great reading!
9th March 2010

WOW
This sounds amazing what a great experience i would love to meet a monkey!!!
11th March 2010

Great
Talk about memories for life! I watched the documentary recently about one of the orang orphanages, lovely place. looking forward to next read.
20th August 2010

The legend lives on....
Ha, Stumbled across your blog and all the memories came flooding back. I had the (mis)fortune of meeting Mina in 2007. Crazy Ape jumped me and almost bit my arm off, thankfully our guides managed to get her off, and although I felt the power of these animals no skin was broken so it was all good in the end... Fantastic memories! [:)]
24th July 2011

mina and jackie july 20
yessss we been chased by Mina, 20 july. She suddenly turned up, scared the shit out of us 8 and the guide, who screamed ' run to the water run to the water ' so we all fell down on rocks and stoned and one of us bruised her ankle [ miracle it was not worse ], but we had great fun anyway! later jackie took me as a hostage - it felt like i was in the movie ' misery' with a quite hairy cathy bates. she [ jackie ] took me by my arm and balls and let me go when she got her banana [ the real one ] and left me, she is a total oppurtunist [ arent we all ] we had great fun!
17th December 2012

Legend
I often tell my story of Mina (Meena) to people when the topic of travel comes up. I was in Indo in 2002/3 and had a run in with her. Only pride was hurt as she scared the crap out of all of us. It didn't help that our guide had been mauled by her the previous year and was regaling us with the story of his escape at the hands of the red ape. His scars were very obvious and quite gruesome. She chased us after our initial escape for more than 2 hours through the jungle. Good times! :)

Tot: 0.087s; Tpl: 0.022s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0452s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb