Makassar (望加锡) - the city of Glorious Sunsets


Advertisement
Indonesia's flag
Asia » Indonesia » Sulawesi » Makassar
September 21st 2013
Published: September 28th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Saturday, 21st September 2013

Silkair flight MI142 flew us straight into the city of Makassar, the provincial capital of South Sulawesi. There was plenty to cheer about during the three-hour flight - great service from the friendly stewardess and delicious breakfast choices. It helped to set our holiday mood right from the beginning.

Arrival at the modern Sultan Hasanuddin International Airport at 11am this morning, there was not much of a crowd at the customs. Very soon, we hopped on to the taxi for our 21km journey to the hotel. The city of Makassar that greeted us was relatively traffic free on a Saturday morning. The streetscapes were kept reasonably clean. Touting and begging were almost non-existent. The traffic grew heavier as we approached the downtown area. Along the way, the driver was quick to point out some of the attractions like the Paotere Harbour and Chinatown.

Check-in at the Aston Hotel was a mixed bag as we soon got accustomed to it. Our room at level 11 commanded a clear view of Fort Rotterdam and the Losari Beach. The highlight of our stay was definitely the infinity pool at the rooftop which provided a stunning view of the city. Overall, Aston made a nice and comfortable choice during our three nights in the city.

It was only during the evening when we ventured out of our accommodation to take in the sights of Makassar's famous sunset at Losari Beach. The beach is actually a long promenade along the waterfront lined with plenty of local eateries and push-carts selling pisang epe, a local dessert made from bananas where you could select your own toppings to suit your palate.

To end the night away, we proceeded to the roof-top bar of Xenari Tower to soak in the evening breezes from the sea. Overall, the city provided an idyllic getaway from busy Singapore as we welcomed the rest of our vacation in Indonesia.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.099s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0585s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb