Lombok - Gilli T


Advertisement
Indonesia's flag
Asia » Indonesia » Lombok » Gilli Trawangan
January 12th 2014
Published: January 12th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Tip:

Do - go snorkelling

Don't - attempt to find a place to swim. A wasted effort as the island is surrounded by coral!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When we got off the speed boat onto Gilli T we thought... yes - no cars or mopeds! The best way to travel is on foot or in our case, we hired bicycles.

Again, we booked our accommodation on the last night in Uluwatu using booking.com - we spent the first two nights on the party side of the island (east) in a homestay. We scoped the island out and decided to try staying the last two nights on the quiet side (west - aka sunset beach).

We went for dinner in Samba on our first evening, they did a lovely Indonesian noodle soup - Sean had chicken satay and nasi goreng - all great! We then went to the Irish pub for some dancing before finding a nice little spot that did hubbly bubbly.

On the other side of the island - you found the larger villa accommodation and high-end hotels. We stayed at Queen Villas, with it's private beach access, hotel pool and beach lounges. It was very quiet - we headed out to the party side in the evenings using the hotel bikes - the trip back in the pitch black made for an interesting bike ride.

The coral surrounding the island made it hard to swim, still possible to go in for a dip but don't waste any time looking for a "swimming beach" - better make the most of the coral and go snorkelling. We managed to see a turtle within 20 minutes.

The island is approximately 10km in circumference - we went for a run a couple of early evening runs - also a good way to see the whole island.

The market place is by far the best place to eat on the island - fresh fish and great atmosphere. Second to that was Restaurante Italiano - I know why would you eat Italian in Indonesia but even after only a week you can pretty tired of nasi goreng and noodle soup. The restaurant is towards the north end of the island on the party side, we had to book but you get a lovely table on the beach.

Leaving the island we took the public boat to Lombok main island - you could take a private boat or a speed boat but the trip was only about half an hour and it cost just 28000! The waters between the islands are choppy so if you're prone to sea sickness consider the fast boat.


Additional photos below
Photos: 44, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.109s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 12; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0419s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb