June 1st-June 5th Gili Trawangan


Advertisement
Indonesia's flag
Asia » Indonesia » Lombok » Gilli Trawangan
June 19th 2010
Published: June 19th 2010
Edit Blog Post

June 1st-June 5th Gili Trawangan

I turned in the book from this island, so it was time to celebrate! We had been to this island last year, and just loved it. Such a party scene where the mushrooms are legal and every little whim is catered, too, but all in a bucolic sort of way. We snorkeled, dived, ate, drank, danced, and met some great folks. (Hi Stefan and Joy!) On the first full day after I turned in the book, we set out on bikes and explored around the whole island, ducking onto isolated beaches all along the way to find some good swimming and snorkeling. The next day we hung out with folks at a pool bar after I dived horribly, behaving like a proper underwater tourist (couldn’t get my buoyancy, couldn’t clear my mask, blah blah).

Tips for other travelers:
*How to get to Gili Trawangan:
When we first went to Gili Tra-la-la last year we took a menagerie of boats (ferry, slow, so-called fast, leaky and otherwise). I forget how long it took, but about two days in all. This time we flew from Jakarta to Mataram in Lombok. We then took an easy cab
Pool Bars=Great IdeaPool Bars=Great IdeaPool Bars=Great Idea

Stefan, Adam, and I enjoying these "small" margaritas.
ride to the cute little town of Senggigi (that has a major inferiority complex) where we swam and feasted and walked around. It was really quite lovely, but all the locals complained how everyone just stayed a night and then would leave them for the Gilis. Well, yeah. Turquoise waters always. We stayed in a lovely place on the beach called Sunset Homestay for about $35 US with free wireless that worked great, and then the manager had a friend come pick us up in the morning to take us to the boat to Gili which is that final 20-minute boat ride. This was such the better choice than coming from Bali.

*Where to stay on Gili Trawangan:
The Beach House hotel has a great, friendly pool that we dipped in each night after drinking. And yes, that is worth a lot. No doubt we had a great time there, but it was overpriced for what you get. Stinky, mildewy rooms, no private outdoor space, and all for a steep price of $60 US per night. Find other accommodations. Scallywags next door rules and is the same price. We ended up switching over.



Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

Charlotte and Joy DancingCharlotte and Joy Dancing
Charlotte and Joy Dancing

This photo was from one of the weekly parties at Gili T. Every other night, one bar "hosts" the blow-out.
Water Around Gili TWater Around Gili T
Water Around Gili T

One of the many lovely beaches. This is one from our bike trip around the island. No one was there. Paradise.
Setting Off on Our BikesSetting Off on Our Bikes
Setting Off on Our Bikes

We had fun renting the bikes and exploring around the island.
Adam with CaiperoskaAdam with Caiperoska
Adam with Caiperoska

I think this is my new favorite drink: vodka, sugar, lime, and mint--all muddled then slurped up.
House Along the Drive to Gili THouse Along the Drive to Gili T
House Along the Drive to Gili T

I just held my camera out the window and snapped away. Any moment would have been a good shot.
Breakfast at Beach HouseBreakfast at Beach House
Breakfast at Beach House

This is where we had breakfast each morning. Not a bad spot.
Finishing the BookFinishing the Book
Finishing the Book

Here I am finishing the book. Right after this shot, I walked to the internet cafe and emailed it off.
Restaurant along the WaterRestaurant along the Water
Restaurant along the Water

I love how all the places are open air at Gili T and right on the water.
Dining on the BeachDining on the Beach
Dining on the Beach

One night we splurged on dinner and ate at Kokomo. I had fried zucchini flowers. Yummers.


19th June 2010

island stop
Think you have found a drink similar to mint julep; watch the beer. Congratulations on finishing your book! Title? Marvelous views there- especially for breakfast.

Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0384s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb