Reflections on Gili Trawangan


Advertisement
Indonesia's flag
Asia » Indonesia » Lombok » Gilli Trawangan
October 2nd 2008
Published: October 2nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

The stripThe stripThe strip

The main strip on Gili Trawangan
The island looks idyllic on the photos and it nearly is so, surrounded by a coral reef the water is clean and a blue/green colour with sand all the way round, however, this is partly spoiled by the amount of broken coral, which can make barefoot walking difficult.

The 'strip' on the east coast is where it all happens and the beach is covered in trip and dive boats. The north beach is the best, has pink sand and quite a few trees for shade. The west and south coasts, whilst pretty have mainly been surrendered by to nature.

The majority of tourists have come to dive or snorkel, but we only heard of disappointment in both.

Accommodation varies from (what we found) 9 pounds for an en-suite bungalow which was a little dirty but included breakfast, to 95 pounds a night, but for that you did get your own jacuzzi and plasma TV. We chose a clean bungalow with TV and breakfast without a/c for 15 pounds a night.

There are no police so cannabis is freely available and smoked. 'Magic mushrooms' are everywhere and even on the menu in some restaurants.

Eating out is
Gili MenoGili MenoGili Meno

Gili Meno seen from Gili Trawangan beach
cheap, although the better places on the south of the strip cost more. Our favourite was the Manta Cafe which was clean and nice with candles on the table, we both had a meal and a large beer for 5 pounds 50p for the two.

There are no cars, trucks or motorbikes (thank goodness) so the only transport is pony and trap. They told us that the ponies worked only half a day and were changed in the afternoon and that they never worked at night. Yeah right!! Then what were these looming out of the dark, cantering towards you with a group of Japanese in the back at midnight? We guess they get bank holidays off also. Yeah right!! A nice place Gili Trawangan, good for 5 days!


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.328s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0814s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb