selamat tahun baru 2007


Advertisement
Indonesia's flag
Asia » Indonesia » Lombok » Gilli Trawangan
January 12th 2007
Published: January 12th 2007
Edit Blog Post

lizardlizardlizard

kept me awake the whole first night on trawangan, right behind the bed, headlevel....
With a big delay, the bus to denpasar arrived at 22:00. Immidiately got asked ridiculous prices by bemo and taxi drivers. Decided there and then i did not like bali.
With the knowledge of having to go home early, due to financial reasons, i choose to head for lombok the next morning, just to get away from it all if you know what i mean.
Afetr a very long ferry ride, and 1 hour on the back of a scooter, i spend the night in senggigi, sonya's place. Then went over to gili trawangan (island) for new years.
Didn't have a blast, but wasn't really looking for it either. Just had some quiet beers on the beach with a german couple.

On the first of january i went back to sonya's place in senggigi, wher i learned some more about indonesia and it's culture from the guy working there. (recomended)
At this time, all internet traffick was down due to the earthquake in taiwan. A ferry sank in stormy weather with 600 people onboard and a plane got missing in sulawesi.....
What a country......and i am not talking about merapi (volcano), mudflows in surabaya, etc etc.
The weather was actually stormy all around indonesia, because of some cyclone weathering the west coast of australia. So no ferry's. I repeat, NO ferry's, anywhere in indonesia.
But he, i had to catch my international flight from denpasar to KL to stay within my 30 day visa period, so had to spend an extra 80 euro on merpati flights to surabaya, and on to denpasar the next morning.
The flights were absolutely amazing, passing over volcano's, green crater lakes, and the bays of southern bali. Again, on denpasar intl. airport got asked ridiculous prices for transport and so on, so decided to avoid bali for the rest of my life.
Especially after the dutyfull immigration officer made me pay 200.000 rupiah, because my visa was expired. (Accidently miscounted the days when entering in Dumai).

Conclusion; Indonesia has stolen my heart, i can speak some basic words now, made a good friend, and have promised myself not only to come back next winter, but also to find a job.
I want to live in indonesia for at least a year, learn the language, and well, who knows what.
It's a beautifull country, it gets some heavy pounding like i told earlier, but that makes it even more amazing. The people are friendly, especially away from the tourist area's, and love talking to you. It's a shame tourist numbers have gone down so much recently.
So anyone reading this, PLEASE, don't get put off by tsunami's, chicken virus, bom's etc.
Anything can happen to you back home too, same same.
Anyway, i wish everybody a peaceful 2007, and see you back in KL.




Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

local boys swimmimglocal boys swimmimg
local boys swimmimg

in the background gili meno
sunsetsunset
sunset

merpati flight to surabaya
most eastern point of javamost eastern point of java
most eastern point of java

taman nasional alas purwo, to be precise
crater lakecrater lake
crater lake

taman nasional bali barat


Tot: 0.044s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0238s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb