Banyuwangi (17-18 May 12)


Advertisement
Indonesia's flag
Asia » Indonesia » Java » Banyuwangi
May 18th 2012
Published: May 18th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Painful 5h public bus journey from Probolinggo to Banyuwangi, the launch point for the trek up Kawah Ijen. Stayed at the Manyar Hotel, described as "rather soul-less" by Wikitravel, but hey, there was wi-fi at the restaurant!


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Bus from Probolinggo to BanyuwangiBus from Probolinggo to Banyuwangi
Bus from Probolinggo to Banyuwangi

IDR27k for painful 5h journey including multiple stops. View from the back seat -- standing room only.
Trekking up IjenTrekking up Ijen
Trekking up Ijen

1.5h, 3km steep uphill trek up to the Ijen plateau. Not fun, but ultimately worthwhile.
Sulphur Miners @ IjenSulphur Miners @ Ijen
Sulphur Miners @ Ijen

They carry about 70kg each trip, usually making two trips a day. IDR600 per kg for their troubles.
Kawah IjenKawah Ijen
Kawah Ijen

Volcanic caldera (yes break out the Sec 1 Geography textbook) filled with unbelievably pristine, turquoise water. Sublime. Unfortunately it was a rather cloudy day and the sulphur mine was acting up, obscuring the view. Photo taken by Jamie and Eline, two twenty-something Dutch girls with whom I shared the 4WD ride up Ijen.
Model AnswerModel Answer
Model Answer

Felt I had to include this more professionally-taken photo on a better day to do Ijen justice.


13th May 2019

Probolinggo to Banyuwangi
Hi Piranha, could you please advise on how to travel from Probolinggo to Banyuwangi? Very less information available on web for this journey
13th May 2019

Hi, it's been a while, so I can't remember the exact details, but I vaguely recall just taking a bus from the bus station at Probolinggo. The buses arrived every half hour or so I think, so no advance booking was required. It was quite a long bus ride (~5h), and was quite crowded at times. The weather was very hot, and there were many, many stops along the way. But I also vaguely recall some parts with nice scenery along the way, with a good view of some of the beaches on the north-eastern coast of East Java. Good luck and safe travels!

Tot: 0.053s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0263s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb