Background: The Dutch began to colonize Indonesia in the early 17th century; the islands were occupied by Japan from 1942 to 1945. Indonesia declared its independence after Japan's surrender, but it required four years of intermittent negotiations, recurring hostilities, and UN mediation before the Netherlands agreed to relinquish its colony. Indonesia is the world's largest archipelagic state. Current issues include: alleviating widespread poverty, preventing terrorism, continuing the transition to popularly-elected governments after four decades of authoritarianism, implementing reforms of the banking sector, addressing charges of cronyism and corruption, and holding the military and police accountable for human rights violations. Indonesia has been dealing with armed separatist movements in Aceh and in Papua.
Photos from Moni
No Start a Travel Diary Free Travel Blog Site
Blogs from Moni
Latest Blogs from Moni
- July 30th 2011 Moni and the ladies
by Words: 1228 Photos: 0
- December 3rd 2009 Kelimutu... and the three-coloured lakes?
by Words: 843 Photos: 58
- April 28th 2009 Cops and Robbers.........or......How to Be an Instant Superhero in Smalltime, Indonesia
by Words: 2919 Photos: 5
- March 12th 2009 50 hours to traverse Flores
by Words: 2449 Photos: 10
- December 16th 2008 Goodbyes, Naked Hotties, Invisible Volcano's and Non-stop Bloody Rain!
by Words: 4367 Photos: 24
- August 9th 2008 The Long and Winding Road to Labuanbajo
by Words: 372 Photos: 27
- October 23rd 2007 Keli Mutu and the villages near Moni
by Words: 2091 Photos: 17