Background: The Dutch began to colonize Indonesia in the early 17th century; the islands were occupied by Japan from 1942 to 1945. Indonesia declared its independence after Japan's surrender, but it required four years of intermittent negotiations, recurring hostilities, and UN mediation before the Netherlands agreed to relinquish its colony. Indonesia is the world's largest archipelagic state. Current issues include: alleviating widespread poverty, preventing terrorism, continuing the transition to popularly-elected governments after four decades of authoritarianism, implementing reforms of the banking sector, addressing charges of cronyism and corruption, and holding the military and police accountable for human rights violations. Indonesia has been dealing with armed separatist movements in Aceh and in Papua.
Photos from Flores
Blogs from Flores
Latest Blogs from Flores
- May 15th 2013 Indonesian roadtrip adventures!!
by Words: 691 Photos: 0
- April 11th 2013 From Makassar to Labuan bajo (Flores)
by Words: 1894 Photos: 30
- March 22nd 2013 Diving in the Komodo National Park
by Words: 1193 Photos: 8
- July 29th 2012 Whirlwind Flores Tour
by Words: 1781 Photos: 11
- May 18th 2012 Diving in Komodo
by Words: 411 Photos: 21
- May 17th 2012 Losing isn't always a bad thing...
by Words: 689 Photos: 8
- May 5th 2012 Flores - into culture and wilderness - Indonesia (schnichla)
by Words: 765 Photos: 42
- April 18th 2012 Flores & Komodo Islands
by Words: 488 Photos: 18
- March 19th 2012 Komodo and Flores
by Words: 940 Photos: 100
- March 3rd 2012 Surviving the Komodo Adventure
by Words: 1809 Photos: 0
- December 15th 2011 Of Volcanoes, beaches and prehistoric creatures!
by Words: 984 Photos: 42
- October 21st 2011 Ruteng
by Words: 314 Photos: 22
- October 21st 2011 Visiting Yensi
by Words: 2956 Photos: 60
- October 20th 2011 Volcanos, seafood and inspirational people
by Words: 1214 Photos: 37
- September 11th 2011 Another Reptile Quest (they're just birds without feathers after all)
by Words: 1162 Photos: 5
- September 8th 2011 "Snakes: nature's quitters"
by Words: 1169 Photos: 5
- September 7th 2011 Night Of The Living Owls
by Words: 776 Photos: 0
- September 6th 2011 The Flores Giant Rat
by Words: 863 Photos: 3
- September 1st 2011 "Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast"
by Words: 1831 Photos: 12
- August 28th 2011 ...and the search for the giant rat continues
by Words: 1170 Photos: 7