Ubud - double debitcard disaster!


Advertisement
Indonesia's flag
Asia » Indonesia » Bali » Ubud
February 26th 2014
Published: February 26th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Stair rods - trapped! Unable to go anywhere right now unless we wear our attractive ponchos!

Important info for travellers: the ATMs are quite unlike those in the UK. Last night, discovered my debit card was missing, last used in the ATM on the main road. Must have forgotten to take it out, but how? Discovered today when resorting to taking out cash with my credit card that the money comes out first, then a delay, then it says transaction over and asks you to exit. No sign of card until you press it - stressful, as it looks like the machine has eaten it, and very easy when chatting with your travel buddy to get over-excited by the appearance of cash and forget that you haven't got your card. No warning beeping. Sad face!!!! No probs, said Sam, I'll use mine. Then she couldn't remember her pin! Never forgotten it before, not a good time to do it. Wrong pin entered twice, too scared to try and risk getting it eaten. What a hopeless pair! Never mind, I said, you will remember it in the morning when you are less stressed (hopefully!). Woke up to 5 missed calls from her bank (automated) and had to wait all day to ring the Santander Numpty Line when it opened. Now she gets to try it again, later when we go out! Very happy my credit card worked - hope the charge isn't too horrendous.

Didn't do too much today - went to the same pool but it was quite cloudy so we went to try babu guling (roast suckling pig) as it is available at lunchtime. Walked through the market again, stopped for a drink in Wayan's Café, really beautiful garden and sheltered from a shower. I had a leg massage but although there was quite a lot of pinching and slapping, not sure she really knew what she was doing. Very sweet though, and wanted to know the price of things in England eg massage and buying a house - luckily my mental maths is not great so I couldn't work it out, as otherwise I may have seemed mega-rich.

Oh, and the local school was having a sports thing - high jump in the playground, and as we were watching we were motioned in to look, and I took some photos - imagine that happening in the UK!!!! Outside a man was selling stuff to the kids, all tied on to the back of his motorbike - cheap toys and pancakes which he covered in condensed milk and crunchy rainbow sugar!

Pickup at 9am to go to Padangbai to get the speedboat in the morning - at least, we hope it will be the speedboat as the alternative is an 11 hour journey by public boat to Gili T I hope never to have to repeat! Be great if it stops raining by then.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0408s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb