Pelan, Pelan .... Another trip to Bali - Birds, Bikes and Big Hills... Now for the Big Ocean View


Advertisement
Indonesia's flag
Asia » Indonesia » Bali » Candi Dasa
June 10th 2012
Published: June 22nd 2012
Edit Blog Post

We have 6 nights in Candi Dasa and have booked to stay at Aquaria. We stayed at Aquaria about 18 months ago and really enjoyed the feel of the place so we have decided to give it another go.

http://www.aquariabali.com/index.htm

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g312684-d737003-Reviews-Aquaria-Candidasa_Bali.html

Picked up at 12 and off we go. The drive out is pretty busy through Ubud but then it eases up considerably. I can't believe how busy Bali has become. It takes an hour and a half via the new road which starts on the outskirts of Sanur. It is nice to see the coast again and as we near CD the fishermans huts and black sand beaches appear. Turn into the lane that leads into Aquaria and are greeted by the bright turquoise umbul-umbul (flags) lining the driveway.

There are multiple options for transport to Candi Dasa, we had pre-arranged a driver through Aquaria (note to self to do it differently next time- not the cheapest option).

You can get a taxi for RP 265 000 with Ubud Taxis,

http://www.ubudtaxi.com/

You can negotiate with a driver for about RP 200 000, I believe.

You can catch the bus (very cheap) but
Our roomOur roomOur room

Looking at the ocean
depends on how much luggage you have, etc

http://www.peramatour.com

Hotel Review

Wayan Toris greets us, we have the complimentary ice tea and luggage disappears to the room. Aquaria is a boutique style small hotel, it is very eco and its motto is "Refresh, renew, revive, relax, rebalance". We do all of that and then some, we really loved our stay and highly recommend it.

There are several rooms running along the central pool (they can be configured as connecting or adjoining) and there is a family room option available, there are 2 buildings on the ocean, one is double storey with an upper 2 room layout suite and there are 2 separate rooms below this. We splashed out and took the other ocean front building on the other side- it consists of a bedroom and adjoining lounge/kitchenette. It also has the advantage of privacy as you are not sharing the verandah with any other guests (big bonus for us non smokers). Absolutely stunning view from the lounge and the bedroom and you can hear the sea even with the doors closed. Having said that, all the rooms look good and I would be happy with any
Our roomOur roomOur room

View from bed
of them. We paid about $95/night averaged out with a >5 night stay offer of 1 free night for return guests. I know that they do have special offers through their website from time to time , particularly in the low season. rate includes unlimited filtered water, WIFI and breakfast.

Room review- The bedroom is pretty big, queen bed. Nice new linen, flowers on the bed every day. There are bedside tables/lamps and central overhead lights. There is a dressing table and mirror, 2 power points and international adapter supplied. There are also candles and battery operated lantern for power cuts. The bed is a bit soft but the views of the ocean make up for it! Lots of pillows.

A doorway leads into the bathroom which has a toilet and shower, it is really clean and light. There is a double shower head with either rainshower or handheld options. The water is hot with good water pressure. Aquaria forewarn you about the trouble that they have had with the stong sulphur smell in the water. It does smell but no big deal. You can use the tap water here for teeth brushing as they have installed a
Our roomOur roomOur room

Daybed
good filtration system. Amenities provided are generous and eco friendly- volcanic soap, handwash, shampoo and condtioner in large bottles. There is also insect repellent, etc. Towels are looking a bit old.

There are 2 wardrobe/cupboards (lots of hangers too) and an electronic safe. The kitchenette is a sink, fresh water dispenser, small fridge, electric jug and cutlery, crockery and glassware for 4. Fridge stocked with soft drinks, beers, milk, etc. Efficient fridge- nice and cold. We had brought a couple of bottles of wine with us - lovely to sit on the verandah with a cold glass of wine at the end of the day! We didn't plan on preparing food there but it is handy to cut up fruit/make a cheese platter or whatever in the room. The top unit on the other side has a full kitchen if you need that sort of set up.

There was a table with 4 chairs and a large day bed in that room also, very comfortable day bed. Has a TV with DVD player and extensive DVD library at reception.

Cleaning standard was excellent. Plentiful pool towels. Central pool very clean and not too hot! Lots of beach
Our roomOur roomOur room

Kitchen/table
chairs and some shade available. The grounds were meticulous. Since we were there last they have put in an extended decking area on the ocean front with 2 small salt water pools and a yoga pavilion. There were 2 women using the yoga pavilion every day we were there, they will also arrange an instructor if you want one.

In terms of food the menu is varied, mostly Western style with an Asian twist. It is more expensive than surrounding restaurants but we really enjoyed all of the meals that we ate there. The mahi-mahi fish is outstanding. They have a lot of vegetarian and salad options which I love. You can also arrange specific catering if you want to ie-BBQ, seafood platters, etc. Would be a good place for a celebration (now, ther's an idea!). Breakfasts were included and really hit the spot- great fruit, yoghurt and juices and you could also order nasi goreng, eggs or a bakery basket. Ate a few meals out in the main strip- Balissa, was good for Indo food, not so flash for non-Indo, excellent black rice!

There is an attached spa- I think it is well priced. Kadek is the
Our roomOur roomOur room

View from daybed
therapist, she is 23 and is from Candidasa. She was just fantastic. Highly recommended.

Staff were all really nice, very helpful and incredibly friendly. They seem to be a very cohesive group.

Additional services- staff can organise any tours, drivers, etc that you may need. They can also organise traditional healers, yoga, etc

Location is good- actually everywhere in CD is well located as it is pretty small.

Negatives- Not many.


• As mentioned - the sulphur smell might be off putting.
• There is a large development of villas going on next door, there is construction noise, so if you need absolute quiet you should talk to the hotel about the work schedule. The hotel have been negotiating to minimise the disruption. It didn't really bother us though.



Would I stay again? Absolutely. Happy to answer any specific questions.

Gill

PS- This review sounds too glowing- I am not afiliated with the hotel in any way- I promise!

PPS- Next entry- hill walking adventures


Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

BathroomBathroom
Bathroom

bathroom
BathroomBathroom
Bathroom

eco products
BreakfastBreakfast
Breakfast

What a view


Tot: 0.381s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 23; qc: 138; dbt: 0.1769s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.5mb