Our Agra Adventure


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India
June 18th 2009
Published: June 18th 2009
Edit Blog Post

This morning we said our goodbyes to The Manor- the quaint hotel we had been staying at in Delhi. We packed the rental cars with our stuff, took a few Dramamines, and made the trek to Agra. The traffic was pretty terrible - there were kamikaze autorickshaws, bullcarts, stray cows blockading the road every few "Moghul markers" - large pillars that are apparently spaced every couple of miles or so marking the way between Delhi to Agra.



Andrew getting inside an autorickshaw


We stopped midway at a tourist restaurant, had some rice, naan, (bread), and grilled cheese sandwiches - some type of mystery cheese- and finally made it to Agra by early afternoon. After checking into the Moghul Sheraton, we went back into the hellish sun and took autorickshaws to see the only reason why we're in Agra; the Taj Mahal. The Taj Mahal was built by some lovesick ruler who erected the memorial in honor of his favorite wife who died during childbirth.... does that make sense? My cousin and I are arguing whether or not that sentence works.... I mean, she died while giving birth to her child.... I'd just like to clarify that she did not die while being born. That would be weird.

There is a reason why the Taj is on the cover of every guidebook, textbook, reference material, regarding India - it really is that breathtakingly beautiful. Despite our feet melting into the white marbled floor, we watched the the Taj in awe as the sun illuminated its golden domes and inlayed Quranic verses. Of course, a plethora of pictures were taken... check it.





Picture taken on the West side of the Taj

This is one of the temples on either side of the Taj Mahal

And of course, some little kids who wanted us to take their picture









P.S. I took my first anti-diarrheal today. Shiva's revenge?
P.P.S. By the way, Lucas, your uncle says hi.
-Denise

Advertisement



19th June 2009

Keep on trucking...
as they say in the US! Sounds like a great trip! I look forward to the trip-a-long-log everytime I sign on. Glad to hear you've made it thus far with the ADs... How's Mon and E holding up? Love You! XO

Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0409s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb