Kool Kolkata


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » West Bengal » Kolkata
January 27th 2012
Published: February 3rd 2012
Edit Blog Post

Our last stop in India was the once British capital of India. Pete instantly liked this city better than any other city in India but he couldn’t pinpoint why. We finally decided it was due to the tree lined streets, wider boulevards, no cows wandering the city meaning no cow pies to avoid stepping in and all the yellow cabs instead of tuk tuks.



When we arrived it was Republic Day, the day India no longer was under British Rule. We walked to the parade route but due to the amount of people we only saw one float and decided it wasn’t worth standing there too watch. During our time in India Pete had developed an infection of some sort in his nose and it was really bothering him. He decided it would be better to go to the hospital or clinic in India where the doctor would speak English. Danesh took us to the clinic and Pete saw a doctor within five minutes, got a prescription for an antibiotic, anti-inflammatory pill and topical cream total cost 850 rupees=$17. It was much cheaper than the standard 475 RMB=$74 consultation fee at the International Health Clinic in Hangzhou for an English speaking Doctor.



We didn’t do much in Kolkata but we did visit Mother Teresa’s Home, Victoria Monument Building, St Paul’s Cathedral and had an amazing dinner at Bar B Q on Park Street with our group. We weren’t really sure why they called it Bar B Q because it was only Indian food and Chinese food, neither of which can be confused with BBQ. We mentioned our confusion to Danesh and he said “no they do have a bar here”. To us westerns it was pretty funny but to a Vegetarian Indian who never ventures outside of India the idea of BBQ has probably never crossed his mind.



Stayed 1 night at Hotel Victerrace: great location with 24 hour power, tiny hot water tanks and tiny rooms.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



Tot: 0.123s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0943s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb