Yoga and Meditation at Phool Chatti Ashram


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Uttarakhand » Rishikesh
December 1st 2007
Published: January 14th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Just come back from spending 10 days in an ashram and the was fantastic. The place is set in the foothills of the mountains and with the Holy Ganges on the doorstep it make for beautiful walks which we did daily as part of the course at Phool Chatti. The walks were part of a thing called walking meditation and done in silence which really makes you very aware of your surroundings which so often we miss the world around us because we are so wrapped up in talking to each other.

The days were pretty intensive with 4 hours of yoga daily but I managed the full week though midway I sufferered considerable aches and pains as muscles were stretched and used for the first time and from long time spent in the meditation position. The days were similar to Kopan, with a 6am Meditation start (oh and morning silence until 1pm), followed by 2 lots of of 2 hour yoga session during the day and finishing at 9:30pm after a final meditation.

The morning meditation walks out into the lovely countryside around the ashram where cascading waterfalls, mountains and beside fast flowing Ganges can be found became one of my favourite time so the day. A special favourite was sitting by the Little Ganges River watching the dragon flies dancing over the water before setting on a rock as if themselves meditating on life.

It was pretty cold at the ashram - at least 4 degrees colder than town and with accomodation that could be called basic if not cell like with windows with large gaps to let the chilly winds through but it was fine and even became quite homely when lit by a few candles. But after 10 days at the ashram (3 days extra after the course) the town seemed a good option but the hope of a hot running shower was dashed though as all the cheap places to stay either use a bucket of hot water or just a cold shower but what can you expect for 1.20GBP a day!!!

Daily Aartis - prayers and singing around the fire took place each evening just after sunset, which I got really into and even sang solo at one point - Me who never sings even as part of a group! and before anyone asked no everyone didn't run away screaming but they may have reached for their earplugs. You couldn't help getting caught up in the mesmorising rhythm.

On the final day we did a Fire Ceremony which involved reciting a quite long chant 108 times and throwing a special wood powder mix into the flames, it was a perfect end to the week especially as it was carried out in a small room with arched windows overlooking the crystal clean azure Ganges.

At the end of the week I felt the healthiest, strongest and clearest in mind that I have for a long time. All helped by a very simple but fresh and nutrious food of porridge and bananas for breakfast and Rice, Dal, Veg and Chapatis for lunch and dinner. Strangely didn't get bored of the same food every day and even will continue the diet when I return into town after my time came to an end. Time to see a bit more of Rishikesh and experience some other Yoga teaching techniques.

I have decided to stay in the peaceful haven of Rishikesh instead of rushing around trying to see more of India. It will give me opportunity to continue my Yoga practices and meditation and general just chill out in the town area before heading to Bangkok which I suspect will be to the other extreme.




Additional photos below
Photos: 30, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



Tot: 0.086s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 10; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0476s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb