Mussoorie


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Uttarakhand » Mussoorie
November 26th 2008
Published: November 26th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Dehradun was a nice place but didn't hold very good memories, so it was nice to gain some altitude again and head up to Mussoorie. It's a hill station that was originally created by the british and it's now an Indian holiday escape. It definately had the feel of an old english seaside town (but up a mountain side!).

We decided to get the bus and got ourselves psyched up for the mayhem only to find a rather comfortable taxi at a reasonable price. Done. We arrived in good time to a rather chilly high street, spanish archer-ed our way through the hotel touts and found some food. It was the same old story.

We have found it quite hard to find decent places to eat in India. Most people prefer to eat from vendors at the road side and decided on day one that was not the way to go (for the most part). Any resturant we have found, within our budget, has pretty much the same menu and its all prepared by the owners mate who is not a cook but a welder or carpenter or something. Before we came to India, we couldn't wait to eat nothing but Indian food all day every day. I'm assuming that the best cooking in India is in the home being done by the mothers. I've Knocked on loads of doors about tea time, but suprisingly no-one has let the hungry weirdo foriegner into their homes. The country is definately missing out by not having these women in resturants.

Anyway we snapped, we spent our days in Mussoorie drinking coffee in a La Vazza coffee shop, we had a Dominoe's pizza and some really great (and authentic) Tibetan food in a resturant called Kanslang (I think, wasn't really paying attention, too busy eating.

The rest of our time in Mussoorie was spent exploring. We walked up Gun Hill, which as you would expect used to have a gun at the top. It was fired every day at midday so people could set their watches. We walked up into the surrounding hills where we found a lot of Christian churches. From what we could gather, they have links with the USA and there were quite a few americans Working with the local communities. On one of these walks Amy met a little pibbler (Amy language for cat). It was very cute and Amy wanted to take it home after she had fed it crisps and let it lay on her lap in the sun.

Our hotel, the Pioneer, was nice and was a steel. It is off season here and why we got it so cheap. We had a balcony but no hot shower and it was bloody freezing at night and early morning, so we had to wash from a bucket of hot water most days.

The people in Mussoorie are really friendly and very accomadating. We have been trying to learn a bit of Hindi and I would say hello to this one lad who's mum and dad owned a little bakery. I must be either excellent (subash) or very bad (bura) as he would decend into hysterics everytime I opened my mouth. I think it's the latter.

We headed back down the mountain and we are now back in Dehradun waiting for a train to take us to Kalka and then on to Shimla and Dharamsala (home of the Dalai Lama in exile).







Advertisement



Tot: 0.108s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0691s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb