My Kumbh Mela by Aiden


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Uttarakhand » Haridwar
March 16th 2010
Published: March 23rd 2010
Edit Blog Post

We are at Kumbh Mela and I just finished reading Percy Jackson number 5. The sixth one is coming out soon. This is what I wrote about book3: Percy Jackson and the Titan's Curse is the third book in the Percy Jackson series. Percy meets 2 new half-bloods. When Goddess Artimes is taken prisoner, Percy makes a dangerous promise that could get him a new enemy for Christmas. If that was not enough, Percy's best friend has been taken prisoner and Percy has to go on a cross country quest with Artimes's hunters (immortal girls) to try and stop a great new monster that is trying to destroy the world.

It's been fun swimming in the Ganga. We usually waited until the afternoon when it was a bit warmer and not so crowded. On the second day I found a marble slab. Cal wanted to keep it but the next time he found other treasures! We met a boy called Luka who is three years old. He is a Slovenian-New Zealander. Me and Cal enjoy playing with him. One day we went into town and ate Dominoes Pizza and it was scrumptious. Cal had a swim in the main ghat. I got a new Hand Mala and Cal got a quartz Mala. It's very beautiful. In India Mini Malas that go on your hand are called Sumiran. It has 27 beads on it. 4 rounds makes one big Mala (those have 108 beads). You use it for doing Mantra.

We went into a couple of other tents and met some other Sadhus. Sometimes I helped Mum collect some river stones so we could make a pile to take back to our gardens in Jadan. I think lots of Indian people thought we were a bit crazy for collecting the rocks! When it was the resting time I stayed in to listen to the audio books Dad downloaded for me. I like them better than the e-books and Mum does too because it means I get less screen time and the recorded person reading the book reads much slower than what I would usually read the book in!

Swamiji was busy at lots of functions but we saw him every day. Swamiji had a very funny conversation about one of Cal's Ganga treasures. He asked Cal where he got his Baba stick. Cal told him he found it in the Ganga. Swamiji said "You stole it?!" Cal said "Is it called stealing when you find it in the Ganga?" Swamiji just shook his head!

I got to ride on Jasraji's float on the big day. It was the second bathing day at the Kumbh and they choose the day after looking carefully for the right constellation. Swamiji had a float with about 200 Bhaktas and we were with Jasraji on his. There was about 8 of us on the float and about 30 people walking in front. There were heaps and heaps of people on the streets and it was really crowded. We ended the walk when it got hot.




Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



29th March 2010

Nice photograph
Unfortunately, I was unable to visit KUMBH this time. But y'r photogrphs depicts beauty and colours of Kumbh Mela.

Tot: 0.181s; Tpl: 0.035s; cc: 12; qc: 27; dbt: 0.1128s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb