Mad rush to see Madurai


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Tamil Nadu » Madurai
May 10th 2006
Published: May 27th 2006
Edit Blog Post

chap walking round the deity chap walking round the deity chap walking round the deity

lost count how many times!
Yep, arrived in the evening one night and left the next!

Journey from Munnar to Madurai was very impressive, didn't take any pics from the bus though, which I really regret!

Came to see the Sri Meenakshi temple, another wife of the god Shiva, according to LP it''s a spectacular pastiche of Dravidian architecture!! Which it was!

It's massive (6 hectares) with 12 decorated gopurams (big towers). Wandered round the city for a few hours...heat was right up there. Got some cracking shots of the market.



Got the usual emporium offers to see the temple from the roof top! took advantage of one, and then had to politely excuse myself to the sounds of sorry, not today, maybe later! Made a bit of mistake of being allowed to be taken back by a tout to the same shop later!! We recognised each other, nodded, turned around and headed back out to another shop for another roof top view.

Then spent the rest of the afternoon, getting the full works in the gents beauty parlour.

Different things just kept being done, from oil face massage, shave, moisturise, facial sauna, head massage and shoulder massage....great! Didn't agree a price but got it all for about a fiver!

Bumped into one of the lads from the Yoga Ashram and hung out with him for a some of the day, had dinner with him, the best bit in dinner was when these two swedish girls turned up at the table asking for 20 rupees as they had run out of cash...we said they should atleast sit with us for a bit, an awkward 20 minutes later we all said our goodbyes....nice...just use us for our cash!

Caught overnight bus to Pondicherry, the french colonial town.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

That's B@ll@*ks!That's B@ll@*ks!
That's B@ll@*ks!

They're reading the tourist book!
A real gem!A real gem!
A real gem!

Love it! One of the market sellers in Madurai
Me getting beautified in the parlourMe getting beautified in the parlour
Me getting beautified in the parlour

Don't know why it's taken so long. had the full works, including a facial sauna!


Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 13; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0269s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb